Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this on another site... forgive me if it's been posted before.

You Might Be a Farmer if...
Your dog rides in your truck more than your wife does.

You wave at every vehicle passing by whether or not you know the occupants.

You always look when a vehicle passes your house, even after dark.

You have ever had to wash off in the back yard with a garden hose before your wife would let you in the house.

You have never willingly thrown away an empty 5-gallon bucket.

You have used baling wire to attach a license plate to a vehicle.

You have used a chain saw to remodel your house.

You can remember the fertilizer rate, seeding rate, herbicide rate, and final yields on a farm you rented 10 years ago, but cannot recall your wife's birthday or dress size.

You have fibbed to a mechanic about how often you greased a piece of
equipment.

You have driven off the road while examining your neighbors' crops.

You have "borrowed" gravel from the county road to fill potholes in your driveway.

You have buried a dog and cried like a baby.

You have used a tractor front-end loader as scaffolding for roof
repairs.

And finally, if given $1,000,000 you would keep right on farming. You'd farm differently, but you'd keep farming because that is who and what you are!

·
Registered
601 Posts
I guess we qualify
texican said:
Found this on another site... forgive me if it's been posted before.

You Might Be a Farmer if...
Your dog rides in your truck more than your wife does.
Does a calf in the cab of a log truck count, or calves in the back of an SUV

You wave at every vehicle passing by whether or not you know the occupants.
DH does this all the time

You always look when a vehicle passes your house, even after dark.
Only if they are going slowand the dog barks

You have ever had to wash off in the back yard with a garden hose before your wife would let you in the house.
If he's been in the back 40, you betcha

You have never willingly thrown away an empty 5-gallon bucket.
I've got so many 5 gallon buckets it ain't funny

You have used baling wire to attach a license plate to a vehicle.
can't say I've ever done that, but the boys will use them as belts

You have used a chain saw to remodel your house.
Barn

You can remember the fertilizer rate, seeding rate, herbicide rate, and final yields on a farm you rented 10 years ago, but cannot recall your wife's birthday or dress size.
This one is just too funny

equipment.
DH is the mechanic, so if something breaks, He is usually the one who broke it

You have driven off the road while examining your neighbors' crops.
DH fell in a ditch the other day, looking in a field,

You have "borrowed" gravel from the county road to fill potholes in your driveway.
can't say we've ever done that though

You have buried a dog and cried like a baby.
Yep

You have used a tractor front-end loader as scaffolding for roof
repairs.
Log truck grapple as an engine hoist

And finally, if given $1,000,000 you would keep right on farming. You'd farm differently, but you'd keep farming because that is who and what you are!Amen

What about when the neighbours across the road sit in their front lawn in chairs, to watch what you are doing, and are laughing.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
texican said:
And finally, if given $1,000,000 you would keep right on farming. You'd farm differently, but you'd keep farming because that is who and what you are!
No, the real answer to this one is "You would farm until it was all gone" :D

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Thanks,
Seen some of them before, but some new ones.

" You don't want all the land, just the piece next to yours"

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Guilty as charged :hobbyhors

L

·
0 Posts
I resemble quite a few of those remarks. Including the one about $1,000,000

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
When your sweet little 8yo girl approaches a trapped racoon and says,"Daddy, can I shoot this one? Say yer prayers, chicken breath!" And no, dh did not let her shoot this one. Today was MY turn!

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
My dad broke his nose when he drove into the ditch while "checking out the neighbors corn"

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Can't hardly wait to go to the store after a rainy night, To tell all the farmers how much rain was in your rain gauge this morning. #2 You put your favorite dirty cap on the kitchen table when you eat and your wife dose'nt mind.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm only a part time farmer for now (unfortunately). We raise a small herd of Dexter's behind our country home.

But I knew I was a farmer when I spread "country" from the bottom of my shoes on the new carpet at work one morning.

Found city folk just don't care much for the smell of it. :)

GR

6,637 Posts
texican said:
equipment.
no farmer I know has enough money to hire any work done.

That is why all the farmers I know, are mechanics, welders, builders, vetrinarians, weather predictors, accountants, electricians, excavators, cooks, nurses, and housekeepers.

They can do all the occupations...because they have to every day.

·
Registered
12,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Max, I agree, I have to do everything myself, out of necessity, cause I sure can't afford to pay anyone... besides, I like to know that I can get anything done by myself... surely takes longer than a pro, but I got more time than money.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
You know you are a farmer if you quit washing the car after the first few months because you travel the 2.5 miles of dirt road at least twice a day and there was never enough time to keep it up. Now I can't remember the original color and the lady at a toll booth once asked if I had just returned from a trip to snow country.

·
1 acre homesteaders
864 Posts
My 4yo daughter(shortly after butchering the first batch of broilers) looked at the dog and rabbit(a pet) and asked if we could "cut off their heads, too" She ain't scared of eatin' nuthin. I hurt my leg last week and my 11yo son didn't miss a beat, he just went out when it was time and did all my chores. He watches and helps and knows the mix ratios for broilers and layers from memory. Gonna love it when he gets bigger and I don't have to use the chainsaw as much. A little on the scrawny side, but does alot more work than any teenager on the block.

mark

·
Registered
528 Posts
Jan Doling said:
You know you are a farmer if you quit washing the car after the first few months because you travel the 2.5 miles of dirt road at least twice a day and there was never enough time to keep it up. Now I can't remember the original color and the lady at a toll booth once asked if I had just returned from a trip to snow country.
I knew there was a reason I don't wash my car. My wife says it because I'm too lazy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts