You Ladies Be Careful

Discussion in 'Country Singletree' started by Oxankle, Jan 12, 2018 at 11:39 AM.

1. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

TV this morning carried a story about some poor woman who lost $50 grand to an internet lover. The guy posted a picture of a nice looking kid, Sgt in the army, as his own. Pitched woo to this lonely woman, wound up taking $50 grand from her and disappearing. She never even MET the guy.

TV did not show her face, interview was in her kitchen, appeared to be an ordinary modest but modern home. Woman was a nurse.

Ladies, if a man needs money from you HE IS A LOSER. LOSE HIM!!!!

An afterthought: many of these imposters who use someone else's photo are jailbirds working from prison. Be forewarned.

2. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

Sad that any person would need to be reminded of that...

3. acabin42

acabin42 Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank you for sharing this. Some people are so lonely they will grasp at anyone who shows them kindness or knows how to sweet talk them....very sad indeed

4. rkintn

rkintn mean people suck

He'd be in for a big surprise with me lol I'd be lucky to be able to give him $50 much less $50k lol

5. newfieannie

newfieannie newfieannie Supporter

50k that's nothing! women around here have lost 800.000 and their homes and everything else. one woman who lost that much is now living in her friends unfinished basement. I don't know what it is. gullible? needy? I'd like to have a companion myself but i don't want one that bad.

they're not even companions. they have never met. how can you send money to someone you have never met. and keep sending until you have nothing left and these are supposedly intelligent people. I'm more or less stupid most of the time but you'd never find me doing something like that~Georgia

6. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

As has been said so many times here , Women will wade through nice decent hum drum nose to the grindstone type of guys to find a flamboyant, edgy, exciting, devil may care worthless bum.

Kiamichi Kid and mnn2501 like this.
  7. emdeengee

emdeengee Well-Known Member

I have watched a few of the Dr. Phil episodes about this exact same subject - men and women who are being completely conned by imaginary lovers. He does a great expose - has even brought the actual person whose photo is being used (identity stolen) to the show to present the "lover" to the victim. And yet some of these people refuse to believe their own eyes. Voice modifiers are also used so that the women the men think they are talking to are actually men. And for people who are supposed to be born in the US it is amazing how badly they speak and how little knowledge they have of their hometowns and states.

These stories interest me a lot because we have a friend who was/is a victim. I am trying so hard to understand. He has lost everything including the support of his family and friends because he will just not believe that this woman does not exist. And yet every time they are supposed to meet (he even flew to France to meet her) she never shows up or has another emergency that requires him to send more money.

https://www.drphil.com/videos/dr-ph...o-sent-750000-to-help-woman-is-being-scammed/

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 2:03 PM
    COSunflower, Kiamichi Kid and RichNC like this.
  8. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

I think the saddest part is these women's lack of self respect,and self esteem.

9. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

I was at the beauty salon last year and an employee was telling me about her new love. Whom she met on the internet. I was baffled that she would believe this nonsense but she was convinced he was real and “the one”. I got her to send me the pic he’d sent of himself and I plugged it into reverse image search. Bingo....pic was stolen from some poor schmuck and was all over the place as the pic being used by scammers. I think she was a little mad at me.

10. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

OHHHJHHH!!! So smart!!!!!
    This old man had never heard of reverse image search. How does one do that? I know that the picture sent to the woman reported on TV was stolen, but how did they find the fellow whose picture it really was?

11. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Capture a pic, go to google and search for google image search. It will tell you how.

12. Clem

Clem Realist

When I was POF'ing a few years ago, a woman offered me $860 a month to spend a week with her, going to bingo and the senior citizen's center and stuff. She told me that some guy with a foreign accent had convinced her he lived the next town over, and talked her into signing a 2 year cell phone agreement and buying a blackberry for "his daughter" as a gesture of good will, so that the daughter would accept the old gal as "family"

He also offered to let her run her various retirement checks and SS through his bank account, so that her children wouldn't be stealing it. He even offered to let her put her house in his name.

It was pitiful, and I couldn't decide whether or not to let her son and daughter know what was going on or not. One thing for sure, I wasn't going to be a boytoy for some old gal to show off at the senior center!!

I still remember the $860 a month. It would have come in mighty handy. Ahhh well. C'est la vie.

COSunflower and RichNC like this.
  13. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

That stuff has been around for a while, in one form or another. Had someone tell me that I should give them my banking numbers so they could make sure my bills were paid on time. Right. Can hardly believe that people fall for that sort of thing. Then again, they're probably the type that go around wantonly kissing frogs.

Mon

14. Kiamichi Kid

Kiamichi Kid The Renegade...

I agree, and the same for the men that fall for it too..

COSunflower and Oregon1986 like this.
  15. newfieannie

newfieannie newfieannie Supporter

for sure! look at all the men that get caught up in the MOB scam. I know of one guy who's a friend of my son. he works somewhere around the phillipines. he has had 3 of them. each time they took him for everything. never did learn. last time I heard about him he was about to do it again. could even be on his fifth by now. ~Georgia

16. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

I am all for meeting online
    Yes men are just as much victims

Kiamichi Kid likes this.
  17. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

In a previous life, long ago, I seem to remember almost every woman I dated more than once either asked for my DL or found someone who had enough information on me to run a proper background check. This was before the internet.
    Now either I came across as a serial killer or the level of female companionship I found was intelligent and responsible enough to make sure they weren't getting involved with a loser.

kalmara, nehimama and RichNC like this.
  18. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Yep. Guys get catfished too. A 24 yesr old kid on a line I supervise was catfished by a gal in Australia back in 1998 and gave us his two week notice , sold all he had and flew to dowm under. The picture she sent him looked nothing like her and she lived with her brother and mother.

They cleaned him out in a few weeks and he ended up calling us on his international calling card to tell us he was broke and needed help to get home before his visitor visa expired.

After getting the number to call him back, we called the company travel agency and found out how much a non refundable ticket back to the states cost , took up a collection among a few of us and called him to tell him when to get himself to the airport to ship himself home.

When he got back , we put him back in his job slot that was still open and every payday for almost a year, he paid each of us who chipped in on his shipping cost home $15 every two weeks and surfed a new couch every week or so for a weekly bed and board donation to the couch owners so he wouldn't wear out his welcome with any of the guys who let him couch crash with them until he paid us ticket agents off and could afford his own apartment again.

19. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Chuck, U talk about the pic reverse imaging thingie.
    There was a girl murdered 10yrs ago in Tulsa. her ma been keeping her pic and name and such on billboards for years till recently I havnt see one. I just heard on the news last night, that the blood or seman they found on her, with that and the FBIs help they made up a pic of what he likely more or less looked like. The police chief said that it was expensive, but, IF it catches the guy, many more will be done.

20. tiffanysgallery

tiffanysgallery Well-Known Member

One of the elderly ladies in our community was taken advantage of by a suave gentleman over the phone. She never told her son that she was mailing this gentleman money and her jewelry. It wasn't until later that her son found post office receipts tucked away in her personal items. When he asked the senior care company, who had been driving his mother to her doctor appointments, why would they also drive her to the post office? The company's answer was, "it wasn't suppose to happen, and it's not our policy to drive clients to the post office." That's about all the apology he got from that senior care company.

edit: misspelled the word apology, sorry

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 5:08 AM