You know, I used to laugh when

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tsdave, Sep 2, 2005.

1. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

i read the survivalists claiming the need for limitless rounds of ammo, months supply of food and WATER, bug-out bags, get away vehicles,hideaways etc. Espically the 'mutants' that would come about. Then i got into survivalism a bit, still believing it was just being overly carefull. But after seeing what is happening in New Orleans, survivalsim doesnt seem odd or rash at all.

Most important of all, look at how few days it took.

2. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

It took hours for situtations to become worse. Survival is important and having neccessary supplies.
    tnborn

3. 9Pines

9Pines Well-Known Member

I know its made me rethink my stocking up.

4. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

We were already stocking up. But what good would it have done people whose homes were blown away? That is the frightening part. Of course we don't have hurricanes where I am, but I am wondering what would be a safe alternative to the sort of natural disaster that people in NO are experiencing?

hollym

5. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

Ditto that, but even still I was wondering what kind of natural disaster could occur where I live. I tought we were pretty safe until someone pointed out there is a volcano in Montana that could bury us in a foot of ash should it blow.

Now I'm thinking, okay maybe it is time to put into action what I have been just thinking about for the last couple years, such as stockpiling food, ammo, and becoming more self-sufficient.

6. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

One of the most important things about being a "survivalist" is to keep it a secret. I forget that sometimes when I start talking to coworkers about stocking up, and I then have to downplay what I've started to say. Yeah, it's always a good idea to have a few gallons of water just in case.........(but ya don't want too many people to know what you really have).

7. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Most of your supplies SHOULD survive getting wet if stored correctly.

Firearms are quite able to be wet as is ammo.

Food should be in weathertight containers.

Water same thing.

I used to feel kind of 'weird' ever bringing up storing food/etc but not now.

I DO want to store supplies elsewhere on our land but haven't the capability right now.

Hopefully NOLA will start to settle down with the arrival of more troops.

Or the city will burn.

8. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

I think thats where the bug-out bag and the bug-out vehicle AND the hideaway comes in ? ;-)

9. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

To answer the question on the flooding wiping out stored supplies: well, survivalism is NOT just stocking up on supplies but also plans and more plans for what to do should_____ happen (fill in the blank). Technically, a good survivalist wouldn't of even been in N.O. because of many many reasons. Someone who was thinking right would of left as soon as they saw what was coming: no ride out because you're poor? WALK!

10. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Well of course! Good point, and we do not have a bug out bag, but need to think about getting one together. I have seen kits on line.

hollym

11. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

Can you share where you have seen those online please? :)

12. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

I have the barest of necessities met indefinitly.

The only threats that sacre me are NBC, or marshal law,
    as I have no defence for those.

13. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe a well equipped/stocked backpack could double as a "bug out" bag. When you are going to the woods, you have to take enough essentials to make do for several days/weeks. The best book I've read on backpacking (including what to put in your bag) was "The Complete Walker" by Colin Fletcher. It was also quite entertaining.

14. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

A bug out bag is just a bag you have pre-packed with the supplies necessary to reach your hideout. Such as clothes, medicines, food, radios/phone, etc. Like an overnight bag. But its ready 24/7/365 so at any time if you have to leave RIGHT_NOW ! you just grab it and run. You may even want more than one. If you can afford it you may want a bug out vehicle, such as an old van or rv. You can keep it packed, gassed and ready. Just keep it in good mechanical shape ! Plus you would have a dry place to sleep. Ive got a 'camping' van ive been working on.... Put A)bug-out-bag into b)camper-van to turn it into C)bug-out-van ;-)

15. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

Got it. Thanks!

16. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Yep. Most backpackers would have no problems meeting the intial requirements for shelter, water, and some method for cooking. You can get tents that weigh under 5 lbs, propane cook stoves that weigh ounces, down sleeping bags are very light, water filters and backup chemical tablets that weigh well under a pound. Dehydrated and freeze-dried food is widely available. It is absolutely possible for a pack carrying enough food and gear to survive for 2 weeks in the wild to weigh less than 60# (I've done this more than once). Gear can be bought second hand and at close-outs to save money, this stuff is also built to be used in rough surroundings so it does hold up given reasonable care. It's also completely possible to walk 15 miles in a day carrying that - some people do this routinely, I'd imagine any healthy person with adrenaline running through their system could manage this kind of mileage.

17. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

....................This just demonstrates , HOW , it is Possible that 50 million or so of OUR citizens are allowed to go about their daily lives without Health Insurance in this county . What a Disgrace this is!! In this time of our greatest Materialistic excess the "havenots of our country" are truly expendable while the military scratches it's green ass waiting for the whitehouse and the attendant bureaucries to overcome their collective inertia and issue orders to "move" . Alll the while the sick , infirm and others are dying , starving and dealing with the lack of any kind of facilities to allow them too excercise any semblence of privacy to maintain their personal dignity and self determination . All the collective excuses of those who should have exercised their authority to initiate a response immediately after this tradedy will be held to account for their Inaction . This MUST NOT be allowed to happen again . fordy... :soap: :(

18. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Um, please don't blame the military on this one. They CAN"T move out unless ordered to do so, especially in a domestic situation.

I agree with you, the institutional inertia on this one is dumbfounding, but having a bunch of people show up with no plan would have resulted in worse chaos then we are seeing now.

Nikki

19. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

About the best survival website I've ever been to is Hood's Woods at http://www.survival.com They discuss bug out bags, survival kits, among tons of other things. I've been visiting their forum for several years now, and there is always as many interesting things to read there and there is on this site... Good People!

Rowdy

20. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..........................Rowdy , excellent website . I'm sure I'll spend time there
    perusing the Inventory . Thanks , fordy.. :)