You hunt by yourself.......

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by r.h. in okla., Oct 12, 2006.

1. or have a couple of buddies, or a big family group?

When I first started deer hunting way back down in the early 70's we had a big hunting party that would gather at my Uncle Coony's. There would be about 10 or 12 of us all in one big hunting party. Right around 1980 my Uncle Coony past away and the big hunting party started deminishing. First some of his son's quit hunting with us. I guess it just wasn't the same without their dad to hunt with. But some of us 1st cousins kind of kept the hunting party going on for a few short years, but eventually we have all gone our own ways and some of us do our own hunting by ourselves.

I eventually found myself to be a loner out in the woods. Which was alright at first cause I quickly realized that I could be a lot more successful then I ever was before. I went from lucky to see one, to being able to successfully harvest 3 or 4 per year.

But lately I'm getting back into the interest of group hunting again. Just can't get a group up. I've been trying to get my young daughters interested in hunting and they have a lot of interest in it. However, my oldest daughter (12) is getting more interested in teenage things (boys also) and is showing the lack of interest in hunting. This makes me think the other two daughters will soon follow her. So I maybe back to being a loner very soon once again.

I've been trying to get a couple of cousins interested in party hunting once again but they can't make any commitments due to jobs and family events.

I envy those of you who have family to hunt with. The cameraderie, cook outs, bragging, that goes on. Enjoy it this year and hope it continues next year.

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I Hunt all alone.Should have someone with me but I can't find anyone to go.

big rockpile

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Heck, I hunt off the front and back porches of our house....I guess you could say that could say I hunt by myself....of course, WIHH is in the house.

4. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Up until the last two years I've always hunted with my BIL and a good friend. We'd take a trip out to WY or CO every year for elk and/or deer. We own a 14 X 16 wall tent and all the works.
    Those trips we awesome. We've always been able to tag out, but sometimes didn't because we were trying for the big one. I have heads mounted that have some great memories attached to them.

But we don't do it anymore. Hard to draw the tags for the areas we used to hunt. Some of those areas have been spoiled by improved roads, too many ATV's etc.
    It's hard to justify the expense of a long trip like that anymore. Tags at 400 bux and up....gas....food....It adds up to a lot of money.

Now I hunt out my back door but it's not the same. I really miss hunting those hills. Walking 100 yards and climbing into a tree just isn't the same. We have a ton of deer here, but it's more like harvest than hunt.

The comraderie of a hunting camp in the mountains just can't be beat.

5. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I hunt alone and usually not more than 100 feet from the house....no farther than our 40.

And one bitter cold season I sat in the dining room with the window cranked open just a bit (wearing my ORANGE sweatshirt, of coarse) and when a pair of deer passed near---I took a shot right from the dining room chair.

6. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I hunt alone on my land or even up the logging roads. I might go along with one more person at times, but that's about it. Personally, I don't go in for crowd hunting, and never did enjoy that. In the past at times about 3 or 4 guys would go for a duck or goose hunt from a couple of blinds at safe distances at opposite ends of an area. For deer or big game, I'd just as soon go alone or with one other.

7. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I usually hunt alone too. Depends on the game. A crowd is OK for dove hunting or maybe ducks but for deer I prefer the solitary approach

8. electronrider

electronrider Well-Known Member

Being from the U.P. originally, I miss the social aspects of deer camp. I would usually bag the first thing to cross my path during the week we would take off for deer season, then spend the rest of the time relaxing and having a good time back at camp.

9. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

I'm strictly a lone hunter and like it that way!

10. ovendoctor

ovendoctor north of the lift bridge

all by myself . I do let my wife know were i am going and time frame
    the boys are at college now :shrug:

11. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

My BIL and I have been hunting together for over 20 years.

12. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Usually by myself, but I enjoy hunting with my sons & sil when we have the chance.

13. WildBillTN

WildBillTN Well-Known Member

I'm a lone hunter too. My teenaged sons go with me occasionally, but are more interested in girls now than hunting.

14. jross

jross swamper

I hunt by myself and we allow one trusted friend to hunt our property. Allowing others on our land results in problems.
    I leave a radio on in the house and carry a radio and my cell phone on vibrate. Our neighbors also have their radios with them in case one of us needs help with a deer, or unauthorized visitors.

15. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I hunt alone. Sometimes Herself or my good son will come along, if the weather is not too bad or the walking too far, but 99.9% of the time I'm alone. I run my trap line alone as well. Herself frets more and more these days as I tend to get too far afield without letting people know where I'm going, but it's what I've always done, and I imagine it's what I'll do until my clock stops ticking.

16. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Now days I go to deer camp and spend the two weeks alone. I used to have a partner from the late 60's to just a couple years ago. I supect his wife got to ragging on him since she couldn't go.
    We never allowed our women to go since we were ruffing it. I suppect they really didn't want to go either and ruff it.
    But we built our cabin in 2001 and I suspect my partners wife started ragging on him that she should be allowed to go now. I know she hinted to me that she should be allowed to go and even asked for a key to the place.

I don't want to try to break in a new partner either so I just go alone If I don't return home in two weeks Kare knows where to send the search party.

:D Al

17. tooltime

tooltime Border Ruffian

Hunt alone most all the time as well. Will go pheasant hunting with my two oldest nephews occasionally.

I used to run my trap line alone, but my nephews helped last season and I'm giving them more responsibility this season. I want to teach them enough about trapping that they'll have that skill if it's something they want to continue or return to at some point. That, and I don't have the time to run a big line any more.

Almost all of my hunting is on my farms or my brothers' farms, but I have permission from a couple dozen farmers for trapping.

I let my wife know where I'm going and the time I expect to return. It's frustrating to have to give up a stalk to go home and do chores, but that's what pays the bills.

18. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Herself worries because south of us there are about 9 or 10 square miles of nothing but wilderness, if I cross the road to the east of these 9 or 10 square miles there is an equal amount of wilderness to explore. It was in this wild area (our side of the road) that one of our Senators (Wellstone) was killed in a plane crash a few years back. It's a great place to wander about when one is alone, not even the "Pumpkin Army" goes there during deer season, excepting maybe the odd lost and bewildered nimrod. Deer hunters do hike 50 to 100 yards into it on occasion, but mostly they drive around it shooting such deer as they see from the road.

19. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

With my family, its myself, hubby, my son, and my FIL. My side of the family doesnt hunt at all. How I was born into THAT family I have no clue LOL... I think they switched me with someone else at birth.. My family is pretty much city. Picture hair, make-up, tanning salons, nails, office jobs etc. Me IM like the black sheep, Hardly were any make up except maybe some mascara, my hair is long, my idea of a hair do is I pull it back in a pony tail, nails?? HA what are those? So its just awesome that my hubby and son hunt :) My FIL does everything with us. Whether its camping, fishing, or just doing stuff around the house. He is a big part of our family.
    This next hunt we are leaving on has my son, and I and my FIL going to Colorado, and My Hubby and his friend are heading to Utah. When we all meet up in Colorado we will have 5 people in camp. Plus a relative from Wyoming might come over too :) I like group hunting. It makes it more enjoyable,. specially around the campfire...
    We hunt up around the 9 to 11k foot range. Not alot of people around so its like having a whole mountain to yourself. THe laughs and stories of previous hunts are so enjoyable! Alot of our best memories are from these trips. At night we all sit around discussing what we saw that day scouting etc, where we will hunt and who is going with who, then it gets down to past hunts. Or things that have gone wrong, like the time hubby tried to get a picture of this badger.. It chased him clear back to the truck and let me tell you they can flat out move LOL.. You have to really watch who is in the hunting party though. One bad person can really ruin a trip. We took a guy with us once.. What a PITA. He is one of those know it all types, and he pretty much ruined the whole hunt for everyone. First clue was on the way there he tried to navigate -- yet hed never even been to the area before.. Then he proceeded to be nasty to every single person he came into contact with at any stop that was made. IM talking if he ordered a burger it would have SOMETHING wrong with it....ANd in camp... OMG the guy was worthless. Didint know crap about anything pretaining to set up, hunt methods, etc. And this guy is supposed to be a profesional trapper/hunter Needless to say choose your hunting partners really well....It can make or break your trip..
    On the lighter side taking a newbie can be LOADS of fun too! Not only do they get introduced into hunting, but they are alot of fun to tease :) All in good humor of course :)

20. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

I hunt with my hubby, sort of.
    When we get to our destination we split up and go to our favorite spots. I usually go for a doe and he likes to get the bucks.