"You have milk that comes from a cow?!!!"

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DJ in WA, Jan 14, 2007.

1. DJ in WA

DJ in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

So asked an amazed friend of our 16 year old daughter as she was talking about our fresh milk. Daughter thought that was pretty funny.

2. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

So do I!

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I just love hearing things like this...and then i get to thinking what the world is coming too when a teenager does not know milk comes from a cow and I get kind of worried. Sis

4. ma1bob

ma1bob Victory Gardener

People are amazed when they visit our farm that we get eggs from the chickens. One couple about lost it when visiting the barn and one of our goats kidded twins right in front of them.

The fun never ends when you have visitors.

Cheers

Bob

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    No! No! No! The cows only drive the delivery trucks....

6. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

:rotfl:

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Same here.

8. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

I had our church youth over here a week ago cooking. They couldn't believe we had milk straight from the cow. We get ours at a local dairy and they very cautiously each tasted it. They thought it was good but very thick they said. Guess they're used to skim. They were also amazed that I could dice an onion so quickly. some of these teens are 17yo and don't know how to chop an onion..........

9. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I find it very hard to believe that people are really that naive. Didn't they read books when they were young? Do they not see commercials on TV? (happy cows in California, etc.) Are you sure DD's friend wasn't playing dumb?

10. Ed0517

Ed0517 Well-Known Member

She must think milk grows on trees....

11. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

Reared on a farm but in the first grade I got into a fight with a kid because he said that chocolate milk did not come from black cows. My grandfather always told us that it did and of course his word was "gospel". The principal got so tickled that he did not spank me. Stupidity has it's rewards I suppose, wc

12. RachAnn in NW Okla

RachAnn in NW Okla Well-Known Member

a 5yo in my DD's class exclaimed one day "dont drink the white milk! It come from cows!!!"

they should have questioned where the choc mild came from!

Rachel

13. SweetSarah

SweetSarah Well-Known Member

My 3 yr old announced in public the other day that our baby's milk will come from "Mama's nipples" but he gets his from a cow. Oh the sweetness of innocence. :)
    (I sure hope this doesn't break any rules.)

14. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago they asked public school students the origin of ordinary things they see every day -- most of the food items they identified with "comes from a grocery store" -- they had no idea that it came from anywhere before the store and they were senior high kids.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

15. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

I agree....most think it comes from the grocery store. I have 2 friends who will only eat eggs from the store. They can't stand the thought of eating an egg fesh from a chicken. :shrug: :shrug: Eggs are fine....as long as they come from the store....same thing with meat....it has to come from the store. In this day and age of convenience foods there are many who have no idea where it actually comes from. Its sad. And if our world ever changes they are going to be lost.

16. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

That brings up a wonderful idea for a Masters paper. My work clients all use some type of mood altering substance to excess. One of the problems with Cannabis is that the brain loses the ability to "estimate". Sooooo if I were to write up a questionaire asking things like, how many cows can an acre feed, how many eggs does a hen lay in one month etc it would be interesting to see how city brains work trying to estimate the answers! Also would ask, of course, where do things come from ! Sis

17. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

When we were about 10 or so, my cousin and us were visiting Grandma. We all sat down to have a big glass of milk and some cookies whan somebody called the milk "moo juice".
    My cousin asked "Why do you call it moo juice?"
    We told him because it comes from a cow and cows say moo.
    The look on his face was the look of someone who had been snookered out of his life savings. He looked at Grandma, she nodded yes, and to this day as far as I know, he's never drank another drop of milk.

18. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Of course she knew where milk comes from, she was just amazed that you had your own cow. Really people, calm down, today's youth aren't any dumber than we were.

19. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

One day we had some men working on the power lines coming into our house.
    While they were out there I walked over to the hen house and collected a couple fo beautiful light blue eggs from the silky hens.

It was September, and one of the workers was shocked that we were still finding lost Easter eggs....

20. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Through my job we are always working on Ag-related promotion and education. Last year, during National Ag Week we went into the schools and read a book to the second graders. "Extra Cheese Please. Mozzerella's Journey From Cow to Pizza." We live in a primarily agricultural area, but it still surprised me how many kids were clueless. You can't drive down the street around here and not see a farm. But on the other had, the kids were learning about supply & demand and consumers & manufacturers. That surpised me for second graders!
    We then celebrated Dairy Month in June with 563 first graders visiting a dairy farm. A Dairy of Distinction, the kids had great questions and were very appreciative. I had trouble dealing with some of the parents though.