You guys need to move closer. We need dependable friends!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kenneth in NC, May 24, 2006.

1. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

DW had to go in today for "Medical Procedure" my Aunt had promised faithfully to be here last night and drive her there and back. She failed to show. :flame:

I have been out of it since last thursday. Between the vomiting and dizzyness And absolutely terrible allergeries. I really hadn't planned to drive. Cap it off my sugar was 536 this morning.

We made it (either that or my ghost is doing a real good job typing this) DW was diagnosed with a minor problem easily treated. :)

This once again proves that we need friends close by instead of family. And since most of our friends are here on HT. That means somebody is going have to move...So who will it be? :p

Anyone know anything about the medicine "BYETTA"?

Kenneth

2. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Where do you live?

3. Kellkell

Kellkell Well-Known Member

Ken,

Your sugar was 536 and you've been dizzy and vomiting? Have you gone to the doctor? You could very well be in Diabetic Ketoacidosis. I'm sure after your wife's difficulties she doesn't need to find you passed out on the floor. Please get yourself checked.

4. Sherrynboo

Sherrynboo Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you taking Byetta? I noticed the listed side effects were nausea, vomiting, dizziness, headache, feeling jittery and dyspepsia.

Sherry in GA

5. Kenneth in NC

Went to Doc Thursday. He said I had (Quote) "One of the worst Sinus Infections he'd seen this year" (UNQUOTE) He put me on OMNISELF 300mg. Then Monday I went back and he added Levaquin 500mg and the Byetta.

According to the wise doctor (feel the sarcasm) until I get well, my sugars will remain high. Heck two days I ate nothing. To much nausea.

Sancraft were in Kings Mountain, NC that's about 38 miles from Charlotte.

Kenneth

6. Kellkell

Kellkell Well-Known Member

I just had to be sure you got yourself checked out since every time someone comes into the ICU with DKA we hear, "How can my sugar be high? I haven't eaten anything because I was throwing up." Which just means that their sugar has been out of control for a long time and when they start throwing up they're in dka and they feel so horrible they go to the hospital and blame it all on being sick. :rolleyes:

7. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

Wow Kenneth!
    I didn't realize you were in Kings Mountain..... I was there between KM, Gastonia and Spartanburg all day yesterday and part of this AM ....would have glady played taxi driver.
    I hope y'all get better soon! bad time of year for sinus problems too!

8. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Ken,you are on sliding scale insulin?

Did you get some kind of insurance ?

BooBoo

9. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I'd give you a hand anytime you needed it, but the NC heat would kill me. Im afraid that not only wouldnt I not be able to be any help, but also you would have to take time to burry me.

10. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

I moved here from Chelsea, Mi about 14 years ago...the first summer was kinda hot. but I'd spent many a summer as a kid down here and was familiar with the heat index. Now the hotter the better...I like it.
    I sure do miss those great lakes though!
    I can't take the cold of winter like I use to either...funny what climate does to the body.

Kenneth, y'all take care n get well!

11. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree Kenneth..we all need dependable friends. That's why YOU need to move closer to me. There is even nice place for sale 3 doors from me. 5 acres, smallish house, several sheds. Going to auction in 3 weeks if it doesn't have acontract on it by then. Might pick it up cheap! So here I am waiting and I'll drive either one of you anyplace. Please take care of your diabetes. Test, test, test, read about how to handle sick days to keep your sugar under control. It's hard work being a diabetic but we can do it!
    PQ

12. Brighid1971

Brighid1971 Well-Known Member

I'll be packing now if you'll put a family of 6 up for a while :)

I hope you and your DW are feeling better :sing: and keep an eye on your blood sugar...

13. Kenneth in NC

Well now Hmmm +6 in 3 bedroom mobile. Maybe :)

PQ sent you a PM.

DW just woke up she's feeling a bit better. Sugar is down to 335. YES Booboo still on sliding scale. Think I broke it 300 units today of 75/25 humalog.

Research and several call later and I tell you that today was the last time I'll take Bysetta. It's barely legal. Testing is far from conclusive and the side effects are for me..Remember spinning around, and around till your eyes turned red and you were so dizzy you felt like passing out? Add 10% and throw in uncontrolled vomiting and you have the side effects of Byetta. NO THANK YOU!

Thanks guys for being here. :angel:

Kenneth

14. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

It is a shame that most of us don't live closer to each other. It would definitely be nice,I've thought that so many times.
    Try to take care,Kenneth. Hope you feel better soon :)

15. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

Ken,
    Did anyone bother to tell you that you have to eat within one hour after you take the shot? Did they mention that greasy or HIGHLY spiced foods will make you sick? Did they mention that taking the shot AFTER you eat will make you sick?

I've been on Bayetta for a year (in two weeks!) and wouldn't trade it for anything! I didn't have much of anything in the way of side effects, but I did follow suggestions on the Bayetta blog and I'm sure that really helped...never did throw up, and only had a couple times of nausea. This med effects everyone differently though, and I had an easy time of it. For most people, the side effects go away in 2 weeks to a month.

Mon

16. Kenneth in NC

Nope no warnings on Byetta. BUT as I am usually the 1-in-a-million that "could" have bad side effects. I should have thought more on it.

I've read a few blogs and it seems about 50/50 on the rough reactions and a bit higher for those of us that are naturally sensitive.

Kenneth

17. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

When we attempted to seriously discuss some ways of being close to fellow homesteaders the discussion immediately degenerated into religious wars, regional battles, commune building, and personal differences (and often hostility).

Instead of just wishing that we could be close together, is there any way we could consider actually doing something in that direction?

Kenneth, since “somebody is going have to move”, can that be you? Or, on the other hand, are you in an area that would appeal to homesteaders (modest acreage available at modest price, some possibility for off-homestead income, reasonable distance to supplies, absence of bureaucratic control, removed from large population centers, or whatever is deemed important.)

18. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Wanna trade places?

19. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

I tell you what, the countryside around here is gorgeous. I think some of you all should investigate this area.
    It's very nice.
    Land is reasonable, too...... :baby04:

20. Kenneth in NC

Everybody knows what were looking for.
    3-10 acres with mostly trees, 3 bd 2 bth (stick built or brick preferred but will consider mobile/manufactured in great shape), CH&A, storage buildings, garden spot, sweet water (well), Great neighbors, small community, good intermediate school with small classes & terrific teachers, low taxes, inexpensive electricity and employment opportunity with regards to light industrial assembly, clerical, management. Or if the opportunity presented itself and something in the crafts industry was available that'd be cool too. We would prefer to buy for 15% down more or less keeping the payments low.

Kenneth

Oh and if we can actually get some snow that'd be great. We are all hot natured so some colder weather would be a blessing.