You Get What You Pay For?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kenneth in NC, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Or at least that's what I've been told. So here's a question. Has anyone tried the "EAGLE EYES" Sunglasses? My cousin just plopped down $49.95 plus s&h to get a pair. Are these "sunglasses" worth that much? Are they better than say a $7 pair from the locale hardware store? (saw a pair at Hardins Hardware that said 100% UV blocked and harmful blue light rays)

My wife's sister paid $159 for a pair of "OAkie" sunglasses. Am I the only one whom thinks $20 bucks is maximum a pair of shades are worth?

OK Did I miss something?

Kenneth

2. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

I got special tinted non prescription saftey glasses once, they had tint in the center(a near mirror finish) and lightened up to the sides, quite costly compared to a $3 pair from the company.

Yes you get what you pay for. :)

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I cant tell if paying for a "name brand" makes the lenses better or not. I just paid half a fortune for new regular eyeglasses that I cannot even get used to because the prescription change is so big. Personally cant stand to wear sunglasses so at least I am saving money there. My neighbor do not have a pot to urinate in but the criminal husband has a pair of oakley sunglasses LOL.

4. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

This guy seems satisfied with the cheap glasses... ;)
    [​IMG]

5. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

Wayne, anyone can tell that those are "high end" designer sun glasses.

6. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I have never paid more than $14 for a pair of sunglasses and that was a big, big spurge for me. Usually, I go for the $4.99 - $6.99 price range, and have ad a few from the dollar store too.

Personally, I don't find any difference between any of them. So long as they are plenty dark enough, as I have very light-sensitive eyes.

IMHO people who pay big bucks are kind of silly because it's all mark-up. All of them cost virtually pennies to manufacture - including the Oakie Dokie ones.

donsgal

7. Caitedid

Caitedid The Prairie Plate Supporter

The only upside to Oakleys is that they do provide better protection from projectiles, but unless you're around a lot of flying shtuff, not worth the $$$ This is why you see a lot of cops wearing them, but I did have a cop tell me once that she wore them because people respected her more if she looked scary. Used to work in a Sunglass Hut in SF while living in West Oakland, $200 is not much for sunglasses there, most of the ones I sold were $400+

8. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

I wear sunglasses every day.But i don't pay more than 20 bucks for sunglasses.Unless maybe they have some that don't scratch when dropped on pavement/cement.I loose most of mine to that.Maybe if they where balanced to land different when dropped. :D
    Ive also lost a few to horrific accidents like leaving them under the hood of the truck after checking the oil,and then slamming the hood on them.

Oh about the tint some amber lenses brighten up your surroundings,while still being dark enough to block the sun just enough.I'm betting the eagle eyes are the same tent i had once,made grass and trees look real green and rainy days not look so gloomy. Definitely cheered you up!And did seem to make things more visible/sharper. I prefer amber because of that but very few lenses actually do that.Best ones where the old fold up glasses back when i was a kid.
    Hum if they wear good, and cheer me up like that, i might cough up the dough. :D But im not because id have to try them on first.

9. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

After hubby and I had lasiq surgery, our eyes were sensitive for about a month or so to really bright light. Before that i had never had really good quality sunglasses. So as part of our surgery we each got a really good pair and they are amazing. I couldn't believe how they compared to cheapies which i had always had. They don't just darken things, but really make everything very crisp which i never found with cheaper sunglasses - they can even be worn on partly cloudy days and don't seem to just make everything dark when the sun isn't beeming down on you like the others i have had.

10. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

I wear transitions lenses, so I don't even need sunglasses. The only drawback is that they only tint to about half when I'm behind a window, like when I'm driving. My next glasses will definitely be transitions again.

11. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Ditto with albionjessica. They are the greatest! I lost/broke two pair of regular glasses taking 'em on & off before I got smart! I also wear progressive lenses. The best prices I've found are at Cosco.

12. LiL OHNNL

LiL OHNNL Well-Known Member

I wear glasses and prescription sun glasses. I love the polarized sun glasses. They are great on the water as the reduce so much glare. The down side is they cost 350+ but that is also for the script.....
    John

13. Kenneth in NC

So it seems split. On my next eye doctor visit I'll inquire about transition lenses.

Most shooters glasses have the amber lens maybe it does make it lighter.

IF more expensive "Polarized" sun glasses make objects crisper and cheapo ones don't then WHERE is the happy medium?

Kenneth

14. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

I like transitions too. They come in different colors too.

15. beorning

beorning Well-Known Member

I've got a pair of ten dollar polarized clip ons that I use for fishing. They cut the glare and let you see the fish, if the water is clear. They seem to work pretty good. I wouldn't have paid any more for them.

16. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I think what you "get" from the high buck crap is "status" from the crowd that values that kind of shallow symbol.

17. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

That depends. Are you buying expensive sunglasses based on actual performance or fashion? For instance when I bought my WileyX sunglasses they were nearly 300 bucks. That was with prescription ballistic lenses though. That wasn't for fashion's sake though. That was an anticipation of a future job requirements and for their performance. Would I pay 300 bucks for some designer sunglasses some dippy movie star wore or because they were trendy? Of course not.

I do however believe if you are going to get sunglasses to get quality lenses to make sure they filter UV or not to wear them at all. Otherwise you're just opening up the pupil to more damage since the pupil is wider since you with the cheap sunglasses and letting in more damaging UV rays.

18. Kenneth in NC

I do not particularly like the sunglasses that just makes things darker. I'd prefer a pair that cuts glare, gives 100% UV, UB protection cuts out harmful blue waves and cost under $20 bucks.

Kenneth

19. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I want the X-Ray kind in the comic books that lets you see...........

20. peacebaker

peacebaker Well-Known Member

They might be nicer, but I'm the kind of person who drops my sunglasses, sits/steps on them, leaves them out in the rain, drops them overboard, or leaves them at stores/restaurants. So even if they were a lot nicer, that would only make me feel worse when I lost/broke/ruined them!!