Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For good reasons I won't go into here, I am living in town in a big house with a largish yard. I spent a couple hours this afternoon, and have mulched most of the last of the leaves into the lawn, except 4 more tarp loads into the compost, put away the summer furniture, planted another 50 garlics, sorted the last buckets of daffodil bulbs. (All the big ones are already planted.) I'm still eating greens and such from the "garden" I tucked between bushes and perennials. The fellow next door was mulching leaves into a mower with a bagger, then dumping on a tarp, then hauling to roadside. (The town picks up and mulches.) No garden; a few old maple trees; no plantings except three tiny rosebushes out front. And he was WHINING out loud the whole time. Like I would be impressed?? Nope. The amount of time it took to "clean up" this place is about what I used to spend every two/three days out in the country, just to keep up. :D

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Don't you hate whiners? Our town has no leaf pick up, that's why I let them blow over to the neighbors.:) Actually there is a field between us and them so not many get there unless they are blown right off the tree. The city near us has leaf pickup, I hate driving there in the fall everyone dumps their leaves in the road. I never worry about leaves, we have to rake in the spring so any leaves that are left along with all the downed branches get scooped up then. Be glad you don't live in Amherst, you can't even hang your laundry on a line there. Snooty city people!

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
I just mow the leaves. It allows them to break down and return their nutrients to the soil. You’ve inspired me now. I’m going to have to go to our new (old) house in town and plant garlic.

Reactions: Use Less
1 - 3 of 3 Posts