Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

· Registered
133 Posts
Hi, Just read this thread. I am 7 hours or so away from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, but wondered what your plans were for the 26, 27, 28? Are you holding a seminar? My folks live in Central TX, so I could possibly come - not sure at this point.
My daughter, who is home from college, has a roommate living there so she could visit her at the same time.

· Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Nah, Connie, I'm not doing any seminar. I just posted that info in case anybody in the area wants to come and hang out with me for an hour or two. I love to meet readers of the book in general and TESTERS in particular. I always learn something from them and it's a matter of principle with me to be available.
Actually, I think you live not too far from me. You're in New Mexico. I live a stone's throw from I-10, just 17 miles west of the New Mexico border in SW Arizona (San Simon). So if you ever plan to come down I-10, say going to Tucson, let me know and I'll plan to be here and visit with you!
Carla

· Registered
133 Posts
Would be just as close to see you in AZ probably. I am on the SE side of NM. I am one mile from the TX line!! However, I do have relatives in Tucson and may head that way someday. If I do, I will definately give you a holler!
Connie

· Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I had a wonderful time in Texas! Met beaulahland/Debbie who very kindly provided DH and me a place to stay one night and a tour of the place. She had the world's biggest Swiss chard plant. It was planted right over where she had buried the chicken offal and it was a head taller than I am and big as a barrel!!! 8O Her Nigerian dwarf goats are beautiful. Went to the wedding in Pickton, TX, and then on to Asheville, NC, to visit old friends.
The next jaunt is scheduled for late October. I'm going to visit daughter and grandchildren near Spokane. I'll be stopping by to see Fran at Trumpkinland and Rebekah, our Dairy Chapter FL, both of whom have kindly invited me to visit. I'll be signing books and speaking at the Tonasket Barter Faire the third weekend in October, an event that Fran is setting up and advertising. Bless her! :D Then we're going to Seattle to visit a daughter and to near Port Angeles, WA where another TESTER, Shep, is organizing a speaking opportunity for me at her church. I'd love to see any of you at any of those places!
Gratefully,
Carla

· Registered
1,785 Posts
the cultural hub of the universe [Kooskia Idaho] is just 4 hours from parts of Spokane, so when your gonna be up there let us know and we shall ee if its one of the times we travel up that way to visit others as well.... or the Interstate fair if it comes right! And a mini seminar would be nice too....

William

· Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
William, I'd love to meet you. A mini-seminar sounds great too! Will you teach it? Frankly, you know and I know that you know way more about the livestock stuff than I do. Or do you want to teach part of it and have me do a yeah, yeah, go Homesteaders introduction for the other part?! You build it and I will come.

Looks like I won't be in Portland after all unless something else develops around there. The gig I thought I had going with Powells Books for Cooks fell through--new management and all that.
Gratefully,
Carla

· Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Sheesh...I ask Blu3duk to share the stage and he gets REAL quiet. Well, if you want to drive up to Cheney, WA, where I'll be headquarters near daughter and grandchildren I'd be happy to meet with you anytime, Bill. Or, if you gotta hear me talk, come to the barter fair talk that Fran of Trumpkinland is organizing for me at Northport, WA.
Carla

· Registered
1,785 Posts
it wasnt that i was speechless, i was in the process of taking on a new job, I am the assistant administrator for the kooskia area ISP cybrquest.com as of the last week or so, making it difficult at best to want to get online for awhile.... to qualify that, ibeen busy learning the system, and keeping the wireless towers up and running as well as doing the tech support that is on contract with our company.... so after a long day, ive een only checking email and today since all im doing is building a router for a customers wireless, i am looking a little online and catching up....

so when is it you will be in cheney???? i have not been there since my dads aunt passed away in the early 80's but no time like the present to go see what has changed!!! can you say
ROAD TRIP!!! so maybe if they let me escape from the tech work here i can squeek away let me know, other wise i woulda been more than willing to help throw a party together for a book signing/ seminaron homesteading and such.

Will

· Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Congratulations on the new job, Will! And sympathies on all the time that earning a living takes from the REALLY interesting things! :D
I'll be in that part of the world the third weekend in October and about 4 days before that. It's all up to you. If you want to get some folks together, we could come to you at Kooskia (sp?). Or you could join us at Cheney and you and I could privately have coffee and talk over life, the universe, and everything.
Carla

· Registered
1,785 Posts
okwe can maybe try working a seminar out... i shall talk to my wife about it.... we could use the karate school as a meeting palce here in near kooskia so it would be available. and itr can hold up to about 200 people at once.

how much lead time do you need for preparation?

Will

· Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I don't need much lead time, Will, so long as the day isn't already booked by somebody else. Right now, I'm booked into the Barter Faire for the 18th and I'm at Joyce, Washington, on the 21. The 16th of October would be a good day for me to drive down there if you decide to proceed with the idea. 200 is a LOT of people. I'd think it more likely that maybe a couple dozen would come unless you do a whole bunch of advertising.
Gratefully,
Carla

· Registered
1,785 Posts
hmmm a celebraty gets big audiences in this area, so we can look at the date and will get back to you in a few... been a hectic week so far in 2 days at work and no end in sight..... for the rest of the week and next.

William

· Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The October plans have shifted a little in some cases. I'll be at the Tonasket, Washington, Barter Fair the fourth weekend in October instead of the third one. Trumpkinland is organizing that one and I look forward to visiting her homestead. I'll be dropping by to visit Rebekah also. Blu3duk has invited me to Kooskia, ID, probably the Monday or Tuesday following that fourth weekend. And I'll be in Joyce, Washington, which is very near Port Angeles, Washington, the preceding Tuesday, hosted by Shep. Am planning on visiting Meadowwood's place in Enumclaw, WA, en route.

We'll be visiting children and grandchildren in Yonkers, NY, the Thanksgiving week. I'm available if any TESTERS want to get together in that part of the world. I love meeting as many of you as possible in person.
Gratefully,
Carla

· Registered
1,785 Posts
Monday October 27 in Kooskia/Kamiah mile post 68 on highway 12 in the early evening 6:30ish is hereby tenativly set for an informal gathering at the Karate school for at least a book signing/promotion and maybe a short session for someone to speak about country living [although most people around here are already doing some sort of that anyway].

We can do the event on tuesday as nothing has been promoted to anyone as of yet, but we will put a press release in the local papers in the coming weeks and even on the local radio station inviting folks over to meet the authoress.

So anyone that is within the area near the cultural hub of the universe will have an opportunity for a visit/open house/homesteading party of some sort.... ok i admit i am not the bestest person to plan something.... but i or we [my wife and i] will get it accomplished.

· Registered
1,785 Posts
and i have been trying to post for the last 4 days but i have not been able to log on until this evening.

William

· Registered
1,785 Posts
sorry i confused you.... Monday is the day we kinda have it figured in for.... but we left tuesday oipen if you wanted it to travel from whereever you were coming in from.....

So anyhow Monday is no heretoforthwit set to have some fun and meet a few people .

William

21 - 40 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.