You are only a true homesteader/N. Idahoan if...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by praise4him, Nov 3, 2006.

1. praise4him

praise4him Well-Known Member

My dear hubby writes me a note in church the other day that he wants to take little 'ol me out hunting with him and the boys this Saturday. In the pouring rain I may add. But that's not the best part.
    I say to him,
    "which vehicle do you want to take?" the 1985 old Subaru 4 wheel drive that is all beat up, perfect for hunting I say....(hey he just got his 370 pound elk and quartered it and put it in the back of the subaru) or do we take the mini van?"
    So of course he says, "babe, let's take the van. We can throw down a tarp!"
    Ummmmmm, I don't think so. Now before you think I am anti hunting....I got more excited than my husband when he shot his elk and I found out about it. He even said so! Love the meat, love the big trophy on my walls, but I do draw the line when it comes to my vehicle being used for transporting a large, dead deer.

Funny, but I still call myself a homesteader at heart.

Blessings,
    Jennifer

2. shellyr44

shellyr44 Well-Known Member

I had to laugh when I read your post. I had a minivan for 12 years and you would not believe some of the stuff I hauled in it. Chickens fit great back there and so does hay bales. What a mess there. I don't know how many times I hauled out the back two rows of seats to make room for something. My husband has always had a truck but drove it to work and I got tired of tracking him done to borrow it. I hauled old manure on a tarp, furniture, etc. I was good a keeping it clean though because it was the family vehicle when we went out shopping or something. After a while it got to old and we started using the truck for the family vehicle. Does it have a roof rack? Mine did and it was very useful. Maybe he's just looking for some company and this was a way to get your attention. Go with him, rain, shine, whatever. Slap the deer in the back of the van and laugh about it with your grandchildren someday.

3. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

A girlfriend tells a story of on a family trip seeing an elk run over. State trooper shot it and her DH asked if they could take it home for the meat. Done- luckily they had a fullgrown cousin along to help load. SHe reports they got home very late with that delay and she has always worried what the neighbors thought about them removing several bloody body parts from their minivan at 2 am- and hosing blood off the pavement the next day.

4. ThreeJane

ThreeJane Me Love Your Face

Jenn -

That makes me think of what's going to happen to our big turkey, Baccala, in a few weeks.

We've got a great hanging beam in the garage, but hubby doesn't want to hassle hosing the blood off the garage floor.

He's going to pull his truck in there and bleed out the turkey over his truck bed. Then he can just pull the truck over to the faucet out front and hose it off.

WHITE truck, I might add.

I told him to just leave it on and give the yuppies at his computer job in Spokane something to flap their jaws about.

He reminded me about the smell.

Oh well. It would've been funny anyway, him driving this big white truck with blood splattered all over the back and sides on I-90. :p

5. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Wrote a note in church about going hunting? I must be missing something, LOL! Do you work at the church?

6. TundraGypsy

TundraGypsy Well-Known Member

Hubby got a nice little spike deer that had been terrorizing the orchard. He brings the deer up to the house to show me. I ask him where he going to hang it; he says, I'm hanging it right here off the deck. I said NO you are NOT. He says, why not, I always used to do that. I say; Not since you got yourself a wife!! He took it down under the walnut tree and skinned it out. He found a great limb at the right height to do his butchering....win/win, but it was touch and go for a moment.... :) He just got back from hunting in Colorado and got an elk and came back with some great stories. Now we're headed to northern Idaho to our other home and he's going to do a little more hunting. Last month he saw a nice herd of elk in a meadow not many people are able to hike into...so it looks like more elk for the dinner table this winter. Not only our table but everyone elses' as well.

7. praise4him

praise4him Well-Known Member

With a little prompting from me....

We are going to go tomorrow. We were sitting in church service while dh wrote the note. Yep, we occasionally write notes to each other in church.

When dh brought the elk home it was quartered and put in huge cloth bags but they still bleed through and drip blood everywhere! So after a couple of days I said, "honey, do you think you could wash the blood out of the garage and driveway so people don't think we have a dead body in the garage?" All's you had to do was follow the blood trail.

Tundragypsy,
    hunting season for elk ended yesterday here so unless you want to pay a hefty fine, face jail time and get the rifle confiscated I would not go hunting for elk. that would be a pretty expensive elk. BUT there is deer season, and doe season just opened up so feel free!

Yep, we haul everything with the van and I love it. So if there is a deer that we have to haul then we just have to put down a tarp. My anti-gun, animal loving, liberal mother would be mortified if she knew.
    Blessings,
    Jennifer

8. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

We butchered once and then decided that we far preferred putting a little money into the local economy. There's a great gal very close to your stomping grounds that we take our birds too (Misty something).
    Wussy, aren't we?