You all are making me jealous!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by michelleIL, Nov 25, 2004.

1. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

I kind of wish I lived out where you all do. I don't hear much wildlife, nor do I get that close. I know being out in the country and living off tha land takes a lot of work and energy, but I know it would be worth it!

2. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Hey Michelle, I've wished the same thing my entire life. When I finally got enough cash together, I bought the farm,(at age 35) and haven't looked back. Do what you have to do to get there. It may take some time and giving up alot of luxuries to get there, but you will. If you have a vision and keep focused, you will make your wish come true. Good Luck :p

3. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I really don't like Joel Sa*** (sorry, can't remember how to spell the last name) but in his book You CAN Farm (which, again, I am wholeheartedly NOT recommending) he did have one kernel of truth which you come across again and again in other books:

You can farm anywhere. In pots in a window, in a city lot, in a suburban yard.. a farm is where crops are produced. And "farms" can be just tiny. What Joel, and so many other writers say is...

Just do it! Start. In a window box if that's all you have to work with.

Because here's the thing: once you get into it, you'll realized that farming, living off the land, living whereever, will probably need to be customized to your lifestyle to make you happy. And the more you've done before you decide to buy that place in the country, the more educated decision you can make about where and what you're looking for.

Friend of mine moved up from Brooklyn, where she turned her little back yard into an amazing series of raised beds... growing vegetables and ornamentals. She knew she could produce much more than she needed on a very small plot of land, so when she went to buy a place she was able to choose a modest house on a modest lot, very affordable, because she already knew what she needed and wanted.

My husband and I are looking to expand our sheep farm... but it would be foolish for us to buy another farm right now, even though we're exploring options, because we need to go through a few more seasons with our flock so we have a clear understanding of how often they need pastures rotated, how much pasture they really need, and how much ground we'll need to hay for them. So we're making do with where we are and compromising by buying feed instead of cutting our own.

4. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Michelle (and anyone else who dreams about it!), here is something to think about........there is a New Year right around the corner. It's time to start thinking about your plans for 2005!

Buy yourself a cheap spiral bound notebook, and start writing. Write down whatever comes to mind concerning your goals and the things you need to do to accomplish them. I try to form one year and five year plans/goals each year, and I spend a fair amount of time seriously thinking about what I want out of life and what I need to do to get it. I began doing this several years ago, prior to purchasing my place in the country. I was deep in debt and really drifting, with no idea where I was headed. I wrote up a 5 year plan, and with hard work and dedication, I achieved my dream in 4 years. I know this sounds simplistic, but writing it down really helps.

5. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

That was lots of great advice...thank you!!!

6. indypartridge

indypartridge Well-Known Member Supporter

YES! We took the plunge this summer and left the city for a log cabin in the woods. Money is tight, the work is hard, but we love it! Yesterday, Thanksgiving, my daughter called me to the front porch and asked me to listen. She told me it sounded like a bunch of turkeys. She was right - we've seen flocks of them in the cornfields near our house, but yesterday they must have decided to roost in the trees all around us. What noise they made - it was wonderful! I see deer every morning on the way to work, racoons have been on the front porch eating the cat food, deer in the yard, foxes, hawks, etc. I don't think I'll every tire of seeing and hearing it all. Sure beats the sounds of the city!

7. Simply Mom

Simply Mom Member

I feel the same way!! Right now we are living in an apartment but will be moving to a townhouse in a few weeks. We will have a little yard so I am going to start a little garden. At least I will be doing something until we can get some land.

I think I will try writing down my goals(that is such a great idea HilltopDaisy :D )...we have some debt now too...not a lot but some student loans and such that will need to be taken care of before we can get what we want. I think I will work on some sort of plan and have it written down for the New Year! :)

8. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

The above advice is excellent. I just want to add a little to it.

Just remember that every radish, head of lettuce, or posy you grow in a window box or an apt balcony is one you do not have to purchase===savings!!

Writing it down keeps you focused. Start by listing all your wants, what you can do, ways to get money (earning or saving), etc. in no particular order--just stream of consciousness thinking. Take plenty of tiime for this exercise. Then put it into an organized fashion. It helps to have a mission statement about yourself, as well as the goal of getting on the land. Wait to put times on this. Also, make a similar list of the obstacles, including debts. personal things such as self-motivation or lack thereof, etc. Now, combine the two into a PLAN. Try to have some pictures that represent your long term goal. Plan to do this exercise once a year, as things change.

Break down the plan into segments that are achievable in a given amount of time, then even further to get it into monthly or weekly goals. This will probably start with debt reduction and savings, but will also include ways to simplify your life. I keep a calendar with "week at a time" layout. This will be your ACTION. By keeping records, plans, etc. all in one notebook, you will constantly be aware of what you are working for. Once you get to the farm, you will reorganize your PLAN and ACTION into chores for the day.

One way to get to the farm is to start small. The people buying the townhouse are on the way!! Try to buy a property that you can improve with cosmetics, landscaping, and decorating. There are many books in the library for ideas and suggestions. Keep a record and receipt for every penny you spend on this project. Your accountant will bless you. If you can find a house on the edge of a marginal area that you can turn into something wonderful, you will be in a position to sell it and find something bigger, etc. Before too long, you can trade up to some land with a home on it, or whatever. There are several other posts where I have written more on this and the organizing. Be sure you have the confidence in yourself and you can do anything. I encourage you to go for it!!

9. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

10. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Start saving change too. I put all of my change in our money box every night. It adds up faster than you think. Every penny counts. I hope you get out soon.

11. Bob Mc

Bob Mc Member

I made the move 28+ years ago. Would I ever go back? Not on your life!