Yogurt recipe needed

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Caren, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Caren

Caren Well-Known Member Supporter

does anyone have a recipe that only makes a quart of yogurt? I can only find recipes for 2-4 quarts. That is just WAY to much!

Thanks
    Caren

2. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

You can make as much or as little as you want. Just use a little less starter. Everything else will be the same. I just tried a new starter from cheesemaking.com that is the best I've ever tasted. It's their sweet yogurt start, Y5, and it's really excellent. It makes up to 2 quarts at a time, but you can always just use less milk.

3. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

My favorite website showing the process:

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Fankhauser/Cheese/yogurt_making/YOGURT2000.htm

From that website:
    "Yogurt is preserved by its acidity which inhibits the growth of putrefactive or pathogenic bacteria. With lids intact, this yogurt will keep at least a month or two in the refrigerator. After that time, especially if your refrigerator is on the "warm" side, a layer of non-pathogenic white mold may form on the top. Merely lift off the mold with a fork, discard, and use the yogurt for cooking."

I make 2 gallons at a time about once a month and never have problems with it going bad. I've never had it get mold on the top in that time frame either. As homebirtha said though, you just scale back the ingredients and it works fine. I scale the ingredients UP! LOL!

4. Caren

Caren Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think I could eat it after I lifted a layer of mold off it! :hand: No thankyou!

What do you use it for after you make it? I thought I might add differen jams and jellies to it to make flavors or even some jello for a creamy treat!

Caren

5. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

LOL! I wouldn't eat it with mold either but his point is that even if it gets to that point, it is still safe. We eat it all sorts of ways. I mix in some sugar to taste as I heat the milk and then we eat it plain with nothing mixed in later. DH mixes the yogurt with his morning granola. DD likes it with a little jam. I like it plain and DS likes it with applesauce.