Yogurt instead of milk coming out of teat - YUCK!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milk n' Honey, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

Can someone please tell me why there is stuff coming out of my doe's teat that looks like yogurt? It is a very light pink color and her udder and teat are firm. I squeezed on it and it looks exactly like yogurt coming out. Ewwww. Is this mastitis? Have you ever seen this before?

2. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

I havent ever had or seen Mastitis in a doe...but I know you need to milk out all that yukky stuff though. Go to Fiasco Farm.com, they have a very good section on Mastitis.
    Good luck.

3. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'm breaking down and taking her to the vet at 4:00pm today. I know it is going to cost me a small fortune but what choice do I have at this point? Letting it go will cost me the goat and I don't want to just let her die!

4. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I would just treat her for mastitis. No vet needed. Go to the feed store and get a few tubes of mastitis treatment and injectable antibiotics. Other option is having a milk sample cultured to see what drugs will work best.

5. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Yes it really sounds like mastitis and if you really want to cure this you need the medicines from the vet not just the over the counter today or tomarrow, been there done that and lost the doe. Milk her completely many many times a day, give her lots and lots of Vit C . Warm massages to the udder and MEDS from the VET. not necessary to take her in I wouldn't think just get him to give you the meds.

6. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

What meds are you getting from the Vet ? Seems strange as all the major dairys treat with today or a like product. The only time I would think you would need to go the extra is if you had a strain of mastitis that is resistant to the common drugs use to treat it. By culturing the milk you would know what would work.

That said I have not had alot of problems but then I have never had to use anything than penicillin and today.

7. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

How long ago did she kid? How often have you been milking if any? The reason I ask, I have a old dou that before and for a little bit after she kids, she gets this long spaghetti looking thing that I have to ilk out. It is there for quite awhile. It looks really bad and i believe it is very irratating by the time I getit all milked out so the baby can nurse. But hers never has blood. If you have never had a problem with mastites I would take her in also. That is just me. I did take my doe in and they told me it was just a "plug" because she was 12 years old and you can imagin what her bag looked like after all those years of kidding.
    I would say do what your heart tell you to do. only you know what is right.