Yo, Anyone?!?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Hilda, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Freyja was to kindle yesterday. She made a beautiful nest, lined it with fur - the whole nine yards.

Today, she is lying on the wire, stretched out, ears back, eyes half closed. Her face kind of looks scrunched. She twitches her hind legs now and then.

I am clueless but I think she might be kindling and I think she may have her kits on the wire. What should I do? Leave her alone? Try to get her in the nest box? Watch her like a hawk and move any kits into the box? Will she move on her own to the nest box when the kits are closer to popping out? There's no way she can lay down the way she is now in the nest box.

If anyone's on the board and has any experience with does kindling, any words would be so appreciated right now.

Thanks

2. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

Is today day 32, they don't always have the kits on the 31st day. If it were my doe I would just check on her a few times a day. It usually only takes a minute or two to have the babies.....keep us posted.

3. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Yes, today is day 32. She was bred in the morning Nov 3.

I guess it was a false alarm, she's moving about now, eating a little hay. I will watch her throughout the day. Thanks, Holleegee.

4. holleegee

I'm glad she is eating hay, thats good. Keep us posted!

5. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Hilda, hope by now Freyja has kindled. It could be she was just resting straight out because she is uncomfortable in those last hours of pregnancy. Keep an eye on her, of course, but usually if a doe builds a good nest she intends to use it. If they start "popping out" too suddenly, however, and take her by surprise I suppose some could end up on the wire.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you and Freyja and the kits.

6. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Hey, MaggieJ!

So I just should let her be? She's back laying down, looking kinda miserable. She'll go to the next box when she's ready? If I find a kit on the wire can I pop it in the nest box or will that disturb her too much?

Geez, I just wish I had some more experience with this whole kindling bit. Mentally, I think it was easier when I had the twins...at least I knew what to do.

7. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

She'll be fine, first time mothers do sometimes have their kits on the wire, so watch her. Yes you can just reach in take the kits off the wire, put them in the nest box or hold them until she's all done. Often I'll stick them in the front of my shirt if their cold, its important to get them warm if their chilled. My husband makes fun of me whenever he knows I've got 'nekkid bunnies in yur bra'. Does usually kindle within 20 minutes or so, its not a long dragged out affair like humans, so check her often. I have had a doe kindle one baby then hold off with the rest of the litter for 6-10 hours, but thats uncommon. You may have to gather her babies up, make the nest hollow for her and set the babies in it. Good luck!

Ooh, another point, my Flemish normally kindle on day 33-35, don't know your breed but gestation can vary, don't be too worried.

8. MaggieJ

Hilda, listen to what Honorine says. She has a ton more experience than I do and I agree with every word of her advice. Don't be afraid of "disturbing" Freyja if you need put kits into the nest box. Talking or singing gently can help calm a doe. Lullaby stuff.

9. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

In case you didn't know.............
    Does kindle in an upright position and will lower their head to assist with the birth of the kits as they emerge (to the front of the doe).

Have you checked her beautifully prepared nest for newborns? Sorry
    for the dumb question but I've known other people who finally checked
    and found the babies all safe and warm!

I hope things go well for you.

10. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

Not to sound alarming, I have a Dutch Doe that her first "litter" was not a litter, it was one huge baby. She made a nest, did the whole nine yards, and then 'tried' to have the baby - I watched her all day and late into the night, by morning I could tell by her just laying there that there was something really wrong! At 7am I woke my daughter and told her to get dressed, she took the doe to the vet and $200 later we had a C-section and a live Dutch Doe, the huge baby did not make it. Why it was so large, not sure - I've had many tell me all sorts of different things. But IF you think she is NOT able to have the babies - then hopefully someone here can assist you with that.
    I had one other that had babies that "got stuck" - that doe died.
    Do watch her and let us know how she is doing.

11. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Thanks so much, Honorine! This is what I need to know, what to do if they are born on the wire. Freyja has a nice little hollow in the back of the nest, all nicely lined with fur loosely covered with straw & hay. She's a Creme D'Argent, this will be her first litter.

Again, appreciate the advice and re-assuring words :)

12. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

No, I didn't know that they kindle upright! That's a helpful piece of info. MaggieJ is probably right, she's stretched out to be more comfortable.

I have checked the nest, she wasn't to particularly thrilled with me rooting around in there, kept gently head butting my hand but I didn't find any kits.

Thanks!

13. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

It is alarming but forewarned is forearmed. The more prepared I am, the better chances for Frejya. Thanks for letting me know about this, I'll certainly keep it in mind.

Thanks!

14. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Well, she's moving around and had some pellets so, I don't know, may-be I'm wrong and she's not even thinking about kindling. I'll keep an eye on her. I'm beginning to think someone's been a pretty big dumb bunny and it's not Freyja :rolleyes:

15. holleegee

With my first litter of english angoras I camped out in the garage with the rabbits. about 2:00am I had to go in to go to the bathroom, when I came back she had 11 little kits in the nestbox. I think she was waiting for me to leave. Most of the time everything goes smooth just like nature planned it and she won't need any help. We're all crossing our fingers for you!

16. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Our two does kindled Sat. The mixed dropped hers on the wire, she had pulled all of the straw from the nest box, didn't find them till I got the wife home from the hosp. (a long and painful story in itself). By then they were history in this cold. The NZ also had no straw, hurried and shoved in a handful. she went frantic chewing, pulling, stuffing and then pulling fur. Within 7 min. nest was ready and she was squating over it dropping pinkies. I learned two valuable lessons: keep putting the straw in no matter how often they pull it out, and never let your sweetie try to move a barn door by herself.

17. MaggieJ

Any news yet, Hilda?

18. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

Morning check - how is Freyja? And yourself?

19. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

No news because there's no kits. I'm soooo disappointed.

On the bright side, Freyja's fine, she doesn't have that scrunched look anymore. It's been replaced with an evil smirk. No, not really. She does have a bright, quizicle look to her though - like she's wondering how humans got to the top of the evolutional heap.

20. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

I put in more straw today and she immediately put it in the nest box.

Well, my sweetie has never tried to move a barn door but I have learned to keep him away from sledgehammers...

Hope your sweetie is feeling much better this morning.