Yippee...it's RAINING!!!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ravenlost, May 29, 2005.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Got up this morning to find it raining...a nice steady drizzle. I'm so excited that I did a happy dance in the middle of the living room floor in my nightie! (Only the dogs had to suffer through this display.)

I hope this continues through tomorrow. Then I will know that my garden has been saved...this time anyway. We've needed rain SO bad. I don't think it's rained all month and the ground it dry several feet down.

I am so happy! :p

2. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

It's been so dry here too. Thank you for doing your happy little rain dance. It is now raining here east of Tupelo area. I've been watering my garden and the only time available was with a spotlight at night LOL and now I've got some spare time to sleep! :haha:

3. Ravenlost

You're east of Tupelo? I bet I drive by you whenever I go home to Alabama on 78.

Well, hubby jinxed us. He called from work to see if it was raining. I told him it was and as soon as I hung up it quit!!!

Guess I better start dancing again!

4. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

It has rained here all day too, 25 minutes East of Birmingham on I-20. The thunder woke me up about 6pm. My older son ran into our bedroom scared. The little boy was in his crib crying. The dogs outside were barking. My only thought, "I've got to save the turkeys." We had moved the poults out of the house several days ago, but into the barn. Yesterday, we put them into the "turkey palace" where they could eat grass and chase bugs. I've always heard of turkeys being so dumb that they'll drown in the rain. I had always had blue slate turkeys before and these are BBB from the feedstore so I was scared. No reason to be, they're fine.

My tomatoes are thanking me. It think my squash and cucumbers have grown 3 inches today, in the rainy fog. There was a little toad sitting under one of the cabbages croaking. I told the little fella he was probably too late for any of that fun...

5. Nancy in Maine

Nancy in Maine Well-Known Member

I thought this had to be a joke! Seems we've been hogging all the rain in the Northeast for the past month. Seriously, it has hardly stopped and we are going stir crazy! :grump:

6. dakani

dakani Well-Known Member

Someone please send some rain down here. This is our 45th day without as much as 1mm of rain. It is so dry. I've even had to water my garlic chives and I've not had to do that before. Even the weeds are dying. Means that the chickens don't get to forage much, but at least there's plenty of choice for a dust-bath location.

7. Ravenlost

No, it's no joke. Y'all have all the rain and I've sat here green with envy reading threads about all the rain. Heck, I'm about the only thing green around here!

Unfortunately, it hasn't rained since hubby called yesterday. The 60 percent chance we had today hasn't produced a single drop.

:grump:

8. Becky H.

Yep, I'm about 1/2 hour from that highway near Fulton. Honk when you go by!!! J/K

Nope, no joke. I confess, I did water my garden once with a spotlight. LOL Near Tupelo, rainfall average for May is 4.5" and up until this last rain, we only had .25" Good thing the drought didn't keep up and saved the gardens for now. How are the gardens doing with all those wet roots in the Northeast I wonder.

9. galfriend

galfriend Well-Known Member

It rained pretty good over here by the MS/LA line too! I'm down from McComb....if anybody knows that area or not? Heard they had some strong winds last night in McComb.
    We went up last night to Centerville to see my youngest DS new place he just rented. It was just starting to sprinkle then. A huge tree top had just fell across the road and had it half blocked off. Then it started pouring while we were visiting...looked kind'a spooky. When it slacked off we headed back to the homestead. Wheewee I wasn't driving DH was, but I was still giving my usually side seat orders LOL

Checked on my garden today and WHALA the plants were so happy :D
    DH and I found watermelon babies and cantaloup babies everywhere :D

Wishing I could pass some rain around.... :yeeha:
    Ah-Oh I bet'chya it's fixing to get really HOT now :grump:

10. Nancy in Maine

Nancy in Maine Well-Known Member

Here I've been selfishly moaning about my own predicament, not even thinking about folks who haven't been getting any rain. So sorry. But it is getting hard to take. Tomorrow is looking like the rain will FINALLY break. (keeping our fingers crossed) The plants are doing nothing. I have seedlings set out that don't look too healthy. Seeds are probably rotting in the ground and lots of folks can't even get their gardens planted because they are big puddles of mud. My sump pumps are running almost continually to keep the water out of the cellar, the rivers keep rising to flood stage.....ARGGGGHHHHH!!!!! We have hardly seen enough warm temperatures to grow anything but grass. The apple trees are blossoming, but the bees can't fly around to pollenate. :waa:

On the plus side, it's been pretty dry here the past few years. This rain will go a long way towards making for a good wild berry season. And established plants are probably loving all the moisture on their roots.

Hang in there. I hope you get rain. I would send you my rain if I could.

11. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Will here in Vt its terrible. It don’t believe I’ve seen the sun for long in the last month. Cloudy cool rain all the time. Had a real hard thunder shower yesterday with hail yesterday. It is 56o here now. Gardens, forget it. Ground is cold and wet. To cold to plant most things.
    John#4

:grump:

12. Ravenlost

Oh, I know McComb. My ex-husband's family is from Chatawa. He has an aunt who lives in McComb. Used to go there a lot when we lived in LA.

13. galfriend

galfriend Well-Known Member

Howdy former neighbor Ravenlost!
    It's a small world after all It's a small.....oh ya know!

Chatawa..oh you're getting closer LoL!! I go there often to get that good ol'flo water. My DD lives over by St. Mary's. Ya just might even know my DD...she's the kind who seems to make everyone know her some how or another..LoL and they either do or they don't LoL..like she gives a hoot.

Crazy weather today. It looked for sure like more rain earlier.....now hopes are fading and sun is trying to peak through. Just hope we don't go to frying on the vines now!

14. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

You guys up in the northeast share some of that rain will ya? We're about 6" down for the year. I think they said it hasn't rained 1" since feburary

15. Becky H.

Raven OH RAVEN!!!! You can stop dancing now the rain isn't letting up and there are puddles all over the chicken yard!!! :haha:

16. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

O.K. Rave,
    I am jealous that you got rain :haha: We need rain so bad. It is dry as a bone here. Can you send your rain dance down to tn? :haha: I have been watching the radar and I thought oh boy rain headed this way. This was the first time that it did not rain on memorial weekend since I can remember.Today it did drizzle. Really no precipitation that one can count in a rain gauge.
    Wish I had puddles in my yard. :)
    tnborn

17. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

It rained all night. Yeah, a slow rain that makes you sleep soo good.
    Glad to say that I have puddles in my yard :)
    tnborn