Yipee, finally got started on my hogshed/goatshed

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by FarmboyBill, Dec 9, 2006.

1. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Its 30ft sq. I set 16 telephone poles in the ground, 6 to 10ft above the ground. That had been already done. I took 3 by 4s 10ft long and spliced them together to make a good 40ft, for a overhang in the front. Had the holes drilled and all myself before today. Today, my boy, 2 nephews, a neice, and her boyfriend came out to help bolt them up to each other then to the designated area at the top of the poles. Put together, that made 4 rows of them going N and S. we also put 2 of the same together on the ground 32ft that will go on top of the 4 that the tin will go onto. They run E & W Thatll take 10 total of them. The wood was so hard it couldnt be nailed, and so we had to drill and bolt it. 128 holes today just to put up the 4 pieces and bolt them to the poles. then another 16 holes for the 2 that goes crosswise of them that we got done for the top that the tin goes on. Im wore out, but I had fun.

2. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

That sound heavy duty! Would love to see pictures. Where did you get the telephone poles?

3. BasicLiving

BasicLiving Well-Known Member

Yes - pictures please! And where DID you get the telephone poles? Sounds perfect. You must be proud!

Penny

4. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

What will you use to stop the pigs from rooting out?

5. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I don't know what he will use to stop it, but my buddy has rough sawn oak floors in his stall to keep them from rooting it up.

6. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Another vote here for pics! I'm always looking at how folks build their sheds so I can improve on my own technique. ;) Sometimes I wonder how the chicken house I built as my first building manages to stay standing, lol!

7. SweetSarah

SweetSarah Well-Known Member

How can you tease us with a title like that yet show no pictures??

8. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Ive got no way of taking them. But its relitivly simple. I got the poles actually from the electric co, Poles they pull up and replace they give away free. Ask your own electric co. Dont kn ow why I said tele poles. Same poles. I, laid out the 3X4s in a line to cover the 40ft lenth spaced by say 5ft apart. Then I placed poles over them to make a splice over the gapes yet allowing thereabouts 3ft overlap. Then I drilled holes, 2 ea between the back end of the front S. board, and the splicer timber on top of it, 2 holes on the other end of the splicer, 2 holes on the next board in line behind the first board/timber, and 2 holes at the other end of that timber. Then another splicer timber on top of #2 timber and #3 timber and 2 holes each drilled into each end of them, then another spaced timber (#5) and a splicer board put ontop and eacn end of the splicer board drilled 2 times resulting in no holes drilled inito the en d of #5 board. Then, with my crew, we bolted these all together into one LONG 40ft FLEXABLE timber. We then raised it to the proper highth to the hole in the lowest N. end pole, with a foot sticking out the end for runoff, and drilled that hole into the timber. I could have had 3ft, but didnt. We raised that end and bolted it. Then we raised the rest of the tember, and marked where holes needed to go into the 3 places in the timber to match the holes drilled into the poles. Then we lowered it and drilled those holes. Then we raised it to the proper highth and inserted bolts, and sometimes all thread where the lap of timbers was at the same place as the E poles. and bolted it all up. There was 4 lines of timbers bolted to 4 lines of poles, 10ft apart. Then, as stated, I will use the same method to make 10 cross timbers to lay across the 4 going N & S. These will go E & W. They will be bolted to the ones going N & S at 3ft spacings of which the tin will go onto them, and thats about it. I have 2 X 10s that I will put on the 3 sides at around 24in spacings sideways. Then I will use true 1 X 8 X 32s boards that I got from work to side it with. These I built a new chicken house with last year, 10 X 30. The bottom end of the top board I cut at an angle doing so with both ends of the board below it so as to help rain run off and butt them together against the 2 X 10 on down to the bottom, Actually I went sideways doing that, all the tops of the boards not being cut, and all the bottoms being cut. On the next tier, all will be cut on both ends, and so on till I get to the bottom boards where only the top ends will be cut at an angle. Although everything except the 2 X 10s will be free, the some 200 bolts, 1/2 by 7s did cost around $200 with nuts and washers, so that was a shock to me, $40 of it I still owe to the hardware store, But I guess if they dont get you comeing, theyll get you going. Hope this discription helped. Any having questions, please put them on here and I will answer so all interested can see both the question and answer and be helped themselves