Yikes!!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Firefly, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

I measured Puerco yesterday and he weighs 275!! How did that happen?! LOL He was 175 just 2 months ago. Wow I had no idea he'd grow so fast towards the end. The person who was supposed to buy half of him backed out, too. I would try to sell some at the farmers market, but my spot is right next to a woman who sells only pork, wouldncha know. I guess my Christmas shopping is done, anyway!

And I haven't lined up a butcher yet. Uh-oh.....

2. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Isn't it amazing how quickly those little porkers grow! Just invite some friends over for a big pork dinner. You'll get some of your extra meat sold. I got two feeders sold this year becuase we had a friend over for lunch one day (long before I had any feeders for sale). I made pork chops with a cherry sauce and some special spices. I guess it made a big impression on him because he called up DH one day and said the meal I made for him ruined him and he needs to raise some of his own pork. My Hawaian pork chops has the power of persuasion too! LOL

I hope your area is not like ours. The place we send our pigs to for slaughter/cut/wrap has a 6 month waiting list. The other place near us that has been in the buisness for a long time has a 3 year waiting list if you a new costumer. Then there is a new guy in town. He has been around butchering deer for a while but now he also just expanded into pork and beef. Don't know how busy he is.

Heather

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Some butchers may buy the extra pork if they are USDA.

4. Firefly

Heather!! AACCKKKK!!! :eek: I am still hoping to do him at home, so I will start checking around tomorrow for someone who'd do it in exchange for meat. Would a quarter be a fair amount, do you think?

5. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

so how old IS Puerco?

Our two guys are about 3 months old (Tango, remind me when Barney and Fred came here to Precious Cottage Farm, please--with advancing age and family crises aplenty I forgot when we were graced with their presence!) and weigh, drumroll please, 90-100 pounds. That's assuming that my tape measure formula is correct and that I measured correctly while Barney was nibbling on my kneecap instead of the dinner I had hoped would distract him!

We were predicting an mid-October butchering (we need to make a reservation as if it were a restaurant and not a slaughtering facility) and now it looks like mid-November??? Am I underfeeding? They are not thin, no ribs showing under all that wallow mud, and thay have lots of hay in between feedings. We are feeding non-medicated hog starter/grower (30 oz. per feeding) and alfalfa (that good powdery stuff plus stemmy parts as warranted), 2 eggs each feeding, some Chaff Hay (marinated alfalfa our dairy goats adore), milk poured over and 2 bothhandfulls of water soaked corn. PLUS leftovers from our kitchen each meal.

Is my tape meaure off? Formula off? Or am I just too worried about this??

We went to the county fair a few weeks ago, and I was the sole attendee at a ham curing demonstration. Salted cure. Nice guy. Told me that the processing plant we had called "might" return "our" meat, and recommended a more local, smaller operation. We had called the more local operation but they were on vacation. Nice people, good advice, prices more than equal with less waiting time, and we are going with them. We don't HAVE to make a "reservation" but I am willing to make everyone's' life a little more orderly. Now if I could just fatten those guys up timely!

Vanessa
    near Nashville

6. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

A hundred pounds at 3 months is not bad. You still have 2-3 months before they'll be ready to butcher. You might want to switch to a finisher in about a month, and gradually increase the feed as they grow.

7. Firefly

Wow, vancom, sounds like your guys are living the gourmand's life! Mine should be so lucky. Mostly corn and milk with some pig feed, which they don't like now that they get corn, and a little veg and fruit trim. They don't much like their hay but I have a little pile there for them to munch on if they get hungry. Puerco is 7 months and 1 week old. Here is a pic of him as a baby, he's the brown one in the middle. Click on it and it will get bigger 2 or 3 times. Is that the cutest or what?!

8. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Vanessa post a current pic including a 5 gallon bucket for reference. Or hold a 3 foot carpenter's ruler above their back in pic so folks can see their size. They may be heavier than what one thinks they are....cheers.

Gee - A GUESS THE WEIGHT THREAD - could be fun!

9. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Hey Vanessa, love the names :) They were born May 8 and I believe Sean and the kids took them to Precious Cottage Farm at 6 weeks, June 16. 100 lbs. sounds about right-maybe a tad over- judging from my two gilts. Squeaker and Grunt are muscled little concrete blocks. You should be seeing the muscling by now, chunky little hams. If you are questioning thinness and not seeing their hams, they might be thin. I'd increase the corn and perhaps forego the alfalfa.

10. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

My 3 are muscled out good tango , bet around 90 to 100 pounds last time I was home -- they get lots of mud, swine feed, corn, leftovers and more mud! Now to start looking around me for a processor, tho I am thinking of doing them myself.

11. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I'm going to tape mine and see what it says to compare. Greg if you didn't castrate yours, I'd bet your boys are closer to 120 if they're getting any food at all. I barely gave them anything. They were on momma and foraging here. At least 60 at 8-9 weeks, when you took them home.

12. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

the guys are progressing fast. Probably between 140 and 150 right now. Probably gained 35-40 pounds in a month. Or my tape measure is off! Fred (pink) is visibly larger but not by much. We still to add another 80-100 pounds before late November/early December--that's the date with the processor.

and man, do they ever smell. next pigs are going to be way back and to he other side of the 6 acres!

Vanessa
    near Nashville

13. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Vanessa, spread ag lime over their potty areas and make sure their wallow is clean as often as it needs it. Since I've had to pen mine for their own safety, I've noticed the darlings pee in their water as soon as I fill the trough. :rolleyes:

14. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

I'll get some ag lime at co-op Wednesday. I do keep that area strawed really well, and then every week shovel and spread around the property in various spots with more straw to compost. As for their wallow--yup, ours like to pee in it too! We were expecting rains so we undamned it but none came, so we will need to do a little more cleaning and shoveling tomorrow.

Did you get bad weather? we had a little rain and lots of wind.

Vanessa
    near Nashville

15. CountryMamaof5

CountryMamaof5 Well-Known Member

You might add a scraggly old rooster in with them. I know a farmer that keeps a rooster in with his 4 pigs and occasionally tosses the chicken feed on top of the poop piles and the chicken cleans them up and the smell is cut way down

16. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

We have only one rooster, and man, he'd be awfully mad if he was taken from his many lovely ladies and tossed in with the piggies! When we had 2 roosters we tried to convince one to live with the goats since he and the other rooster were having turf battles. One of the goats tried to stomp him and that ended that! We sold him to a friend with Dominques who needed a rooster for fertilizing--or so that was the story!

Vanessa
    near Nashville

17. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member

Our chickens free-range and go in to the pig pastures to clean up anything the pigs miss (e.g., bits of cheese trim, etc). Having the mixed animals is great.