Yikes! living specks in the fishtank. what are they?

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by xoxoGOATSxoxo, Nov 8, 2006.

1. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

I thought that they might be a new algae that was growing. I get alot of that in my tank. They fish seemed to eat them, so all was well in the world of the fishtank. Then, the other day, the specks were moving. Eek! They crawl around on the gravel, on the rock, on the plants, on the small patch of algae growing on the wall. They are grayish and about the size of the dot on the top of this "i". Maybe a bit bigger. They seem to be able to swim, but the slightest current blows them away. The fish eat them. What are they? Are they bad? Should I try to get rid of them? Help!!! :shrug:

2. huntress4203

huntress4203 alias mullinaxclan

baby snails? My daughters tank became infested with them once after bringing home live plants.
    baby fish?

Glo

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Yea, sounds like snails. They will eat the algae. But, once the algae is under control they will farm the algae. They will spread slime over the eaten algae so it can grow again. Quiet fascinating.

4. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Try adding a loach; it'll eat the snails so they don't become a huge problem. But then, if you just have docile tropical fish, he'll eat them, too. Had a clown loach once that would take corpses of his kills and weave them into the plants surrounding his cave by their entrails. Talk about a keep out sign!
    I've heard of placid corys doing the job, too, and they come in all sizes; got big snails, get big cories. Got little snails, get little cories. Cute and funny to watch, too. They do best in small groups of 3-5ish, and come in bunches of different colors.
    Ghost shrimp will snack on the snails too, but your other fish may snack on the ghost shrimp too.

5. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Baby Loch Ness monsters?

6. mamacags

mamacags Well-Known Member

Could it be misquito larva?

7. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Mosquito larvae hang down from the surface. Other bug larvae squiggle around. I think it's snails.

8. Keri

Keri Well-Known Member

Could also be planaria. They are harmless to your fish (and yes fish will eat them). The major cause is from overfeeding fish.They look like tiny specks and when they get bigger can look like super tiny, thin white threads that will move on the glass or through the water. They thrive off of the food that collects in the gravel & you can occasionally see them swimming through the water. Feeding less & doing a real good gravel vac when you do your next water change should help in getting rid of them. Hope this helps. :)

9. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

Well, I'm almost 100% sure thay aren't snails. I've had a snail infestation before, a few years ago, in a different tank. They just don't move like snails. And there isn't anything new I have brought into the tank, besides using a new siphon tube. And I noticed them while I was siphoning, so it cant be that. Planaria, I don't know. They are very round. And grey.

I have panda cories and platies. Talk about docile fish... don't think a loach would work for me :)

Sighhhh. I just hope whatever they are, they dont hurt the fish.

10. Lilandra

Lilandra talk little, listen much

Keri hit the nail on the head - these are pretty much harmless unless you are really overfeeding and overwhelming your tanks filtration system.
    Try a different brand of food and feed smaller amounts... watch your fish eat and if they gobble it up give a little more, let them eat... if they don't eat it all next time you feed, give just slightly more than you did the first time...

a good gravel vac is your best friend when keeping fish.

good luck :)

11. NightHawk

NightHawk Active Member

I had them in a tank of gold fish once, I thought they came from the store bought water I poured in. I heard thumping on the glass and turned on the light and they were all over the glass and them. Turned the light out and they attacked the fish, horrible. They were trying to get away from them. The fish died. :shrug:

12. Keri

Keri Well-Known Member

Planaria don't really attack fish, they are a natural clean up crew that live on debris & uneaten food trapped in the gravel & in the filter system. But if you let them get out of hand & overwhelm the tank, planaria can also live in a fish's gills & given the chance can also start munching on any fish egg's in the tank. Now hydra on the other hand do attack fish but are more harmful to fry..I don't believe they are large enough to harm larger fish. Hydra is the closest thing we have to a freshwater jellyfish. They are very small & you would need to look real close to see them. They stick themselves to the glass and plants, then sting & catch fry when they swim by. Hydra can come in with the water and also in on plants. They are real common in ponds & creeks.