Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched past threads, found the ques. but not the answer. Can I worm goats with Equimax? I know it has the Ivermectin 1.87%, which is what we have used before. Its the praziquantel 14.03% that I am not sure about, I know its for tapes. But, dont know if its used on goats, and if so, at what dosage? Since we 3x the rec. horse dosage for the goats, They would be getting 3x the doesage of the praziquantel.Just curious if anyone uses it or has any info? Thanks..

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
We use the 1% injectable at 1cc per 50 pounds orally, so using the Ivermectin in this at 3 times the dosage is overdosing because it is more than 1%. But is it the same mg/kg? And the Praziquantel is dosed lower than would be needed to work in a ruminant so you would really be using alot of the ivermectin to get the Praziquantel at the right dosage. If you serach on the right hand search at dairygoatinfo.com we hashed the dosages out if you want to use them. Tapes are of little consequence during the winter, of no consequence in adult does, although the Ivermectin may work for cool weather worms in your area. I use Ivermectin Plus in the winter because it's the only time I really can treat liverflukes and lungworm in my milkers. Vicki

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You for the replies.Always a big help, too have this forum too reference. I will check the dairygoatinfo site, thanks Vicki..

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
I use Ivermectin 1% injectable orally at 1cc per 25 lbs.....I get it from the vet so I don't have to buy a huge bottle for only 3 little goats :)

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
I have used equimax with my goats, kinda by mistake, had three wormers in my pocket and well.... that was a mistake ridden day because i overdosed the ooops goat (one i gave the wrong wormer to) and if it was to make one sick, she had enough to probably kill her.
On the other hand, she was my most prone to worms and finally shes got nice pink eyelids

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
If you prefer natural, check Hoegger Supply. They sell a herbal wormer that I used. Just keep it away from cats. My kids fed a kitten some of our goat's milk after we wormed with this and it almost killed the kitten. Something in it is not safe for kitties, but fine for us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts