Yes I did....and I'd do it all over again!!!

Discussion in 'Country Singletree' started by Kiamichi Kid, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Kiamichi Kid

Kiamichi Kid The Renegade...

10406973_10203528805528903_1032764692434210712_n.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  2. Kiamichi Kid

How many of you have no idea what that is? lol

3. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

I see sand and a boot!

Mon

Kiamichi Kid likes this.
  4. Kiamichi Kid

You should also see part of a rifle of the M16/M4 Carbine type.... the part with the small concentric circles is the "Forward Assist"...you "tap it" /"Strike it" if you have a malfunction.. to try and get the rifle to go into battery so that it will function properly

hunter63 likes this.
  5. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

I probably would have pushed the thing with the circles with my thumb.

Mon

nehimama and Kiamichi Kid like this.
  6. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

KK Youll pardon me, I hope if I say that I wish youda put a preface in your posting saying, something like, IF your a yanker you may not want to watch the vid. If you had done that, then I wouldn't have watched, and all would be well.
    Of course, your entitled to your openion, as well as im entitled to mine.
    I came from NE Kansas, 15 miles from St joseph Mo, which at that time was 2/3s a southern town. Jeff Tompson was mayor and became a General in the confederate forces. The town was held to the Union by 3 or 4 small forts, one named Ft Smith. In Kansas, it was decided by Congress that the people should vote on whether it should be a slave or free state. The southern planters couldn't see coming in to Kansas as they knew it wouldn't grow cotton, It did grow some tobacco, but that wasn't a real money maker, so not so many came up to live there. Those who did had the backing and protection from Missouri Bushwhackers who came over to vote, intimidate and kill unionists who DID come into Kansas to settle and build up farms. There were a few killings and hangings a few miles, single digits from where I was born and raised. There were Kansas bushwhackers as well, who fought with the same fierceness as the Missourians, People like Jim Lane, and John Brown were little more than murderers and thieves that, in peacetime would have been strung up in no time. Same as Quantrell and Bill Anderson, the Jameses, and Youngers.
    Had the Missourians stayed on their side of the border, the Kansans would have stayed on theirs. Had they stayed at home, and let the votes fall where they might, the outcome likely would have been the same, but neighbors, northern and southern would have lived with the vote in relative harmony without any lingering animosity over 160yrs,
    The same furver? You feel for the South, I feel for the North, BUT, FOR THE MOST PART, for what happened to/in Kansas.
    IF Kansas hadn't been attacked, I would still be a yanker, but not with the same feeling that I have now. I have gone to several reenactments and been in around 1/2 doz. Never felt a bad thing at all for the other side. Like us, they were fighting for what they believed in. No problem with me in that. Hope were still friends, and apologize for the history lesson.

7. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

My mind went straight to the gutter

nehimama, no really and Kiamichi Kid like this.
  8. Kiamichi Kid

Awesome....now I'm not here alone anymore..lol

nehimama, no really and Oregon1986 like this.
  9. Kiamichi Kid

I've not only devoted a good bit of my life to military service ,but also to the study of history, with a keen interest in military history.There are always at the very least ...two sides to every story.I could take you to one of my own family cemeteries where both Union and Confederate soldiers are buried a few feet from one another...and yes they're my kin..all of them. Had a single one of them never existed then neither would I. As for that war ..I'll quote one of my grandfathers.."It is what it is"..There will always be those with differing views, whether it's been 160 years or 1000 years.You have a right to your opinions and your beliefs just the same as I do mine.We each view the world through our own lens...and often get a greatlydifferent perspective. As for warnings...I don't give them ....I am after all a military man .....On the topic of my passion for Southern History,Culture and People you might just say it's a "Family Tradition" and it's not limited the narrow confines of the Southern States/Confederacy but to all of American history...I have ancestors that were among the earliest at Jamestown and Plymouth (and some that were here when the first ships arrived)..Many of them are people written about in history books..From signers of the Mayflower compact to Bacon's Rebellion. From Revolutionary War generals that were personal associates to George Washington to the most well known Generals of the Confederacy...You may even have heard of a well known relative of WW1 fame..Alvin Cullum York...Medal of Honor Recipient ...As for me..I am a Son of the South... and like the song says "Bury me in Southern Ground."

nehimama, no really and Cabin Fever like this.
  10. Oregon1986

lol :)

Kiamichi Kid likes this.
  11. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

The first M16s didn't have a forward assist. The gun (and the early ammo) was a POS. The soldiers wanted their M14s back.

Wanda likes this.
  12. Kiamichi Kid

I heard all about it (for years) from friends and family members that had been issued the first M16's during their tours in Vietnam..

Wanda and Cabin Fever like this.
  13. FarmboyBill

I wasn't issued a 16 in VN as we were a Natl Guard Artillery Battery. When I was issued one in 79, I told other younger guys that they were called Jamming Jennys over there, and was kinda/sorta reprimanded for spreading that rumor about its reliability, BUT, when actually doing mock stuff with it, we were told, if it jams, which mine did, to just yell bamadabam over and over.
    Worked with a friend at a paper Co in St Joseph, who made the Guard a vocation and was on its rifle team, that if you supported the rifle using the sling as we were taught with the 16, that it would bend under sustained fire.
    They sure were a pain to get the firing pin back into the cage and the cage back into the rifle lol.

14. Oregon1986

My grandpa has an M16 in his collection,that I will hopefully inherit along with the rest of his guns

Kiamichi Kid likes this.
  15. FarmboyBill

U sound like my boy LOL.

16. Cabin Fever

Are you sure it's an M16? Or, is it an AR-15?

17. Oregon1986

I'm positive it's an M16

Kiamichi Kid likes this.
  18. Cabin Fever

I'm jealous! I suggest that you look into the BATFE requirements for transferring a select fire firearm (machine gun) to a relative.

19. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member Supporter

The FFL required to own one can be a bear to get and costs quite a bit to maintain. A family friend had a Thompson in his collection and when he decided to sell off his collection , I asked my father if he was going to make an offer on it and he said no because the licensing costs were as much after a few years as what the man was asking for it.
    The collector ended up selling it to the guy who ran the indoor range and gun shop in the area we lived in as the range owner had the required license to own it.
    As I recall, it was legal for the range owner to sell folks time shooting it on his range but he had to be on the firing line with them maintaining control over the weapon

Oregon1986 likes this.