Yes another breeding ???

Discussion in 'Goats' started by topside1, Sep 30, 2006.

1. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Howdy folks and here's my question. I have nine does, seven of which were quickly breed during the first week in September. The remaining two were born in early March 06, one is a Boer and the other a LaMancha. I do not intend to breed them till Nov or Dec. Presently they eat a goat grain mixture (two big handfuls for each doeling) in the morning and evening, lots of browse, hay, pastures throughout the day until the frosts begin. Both of them will be bred this winter no doubt. I'm just verifying that my feeding regiment is on track. Should I up the grain? The Boer is huge, no worries, the LaMancha is the one I'm concerned about. Her frame is so much different than Boers. Her weight seems to be on track by me lifting her weight physically. I'm just looking for insight into this matter concerning special feeding before she’s bred and then afterwards, until she freshens…..Thanks for your input, just trying to learn….Tennessee John

Hate to quote another thread but here goes----
    "I go by weight and frame. They need to be 75-80 lbs. and have enough frame to easily carry kids. If fed right, they will grow a considerable amount during the five months of pregnancy."

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I feed very little grain during the winter, or at all for that matter. Maybe 1/2 cup per doe, and that goes up to 3/4 cup daily for the month before breeding to flush them. After breeding they're back down to 1/2 cup. They also get a flake of hay each daily in the winter, alfalfa hay. (these are minis i'm talkin about) When the forage comes in early spring they get no more grain/hay... Then 1 month before kidding I start them on grain again. I made the mistake of feeding grain all through pregnancy with my first pregnant doe, and almost lost all three due to the kids being too big.
    My guess is that if you feed the doelings enough hay through till 1 month before kidding then start them on grain, they should be fine. But I would be very reluctant to give them grain all pregnancy for fear of large kids.

3. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

is the Lamancah Mimi? Her sister Maddie is about 83 pounds right now according to my tape measure. She is tall and long-boned which makes her seem thin--I imagine that Mimi is the same way.

Vanessa

4. topside1

Yes it's little Mimi, she sure is a character. She just looks so slim. How many inches equals 83 pounds according to your tape? Thanks Vanessa

5. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

29.5 inches, heart girth.

Only doe we've had go into heat (we think) is Val, Camo's 2 year old daughter. The other two, Maggie and Maddie, are still waiting. We're hoping that Hemingway (our new buck arriving 10/15) will help with that...

Rita said you were having a good time with Mimi--are you breeding her to a boer?

Vanessa

6. topside1

Mimi is 27 1/2 inches so around 75 pounds she sure doesn't look it. I will be breeding her to my Nubian buck around late October/November timeframe. Yes Mimi is my favorite, well most of the time....Ha Ha...Tennessee John