Yep, we're off grid...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Amy Jo, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Amy Jo

Amy Jo Well-Known Member

My house is finished... that is... I have walls, carpet, appliances, a bilco door unit that we have to climb a ladder to get into, etc.

BUT... although we have water, we don't have septic system - so we can't use the water. We have cell phones but no real phone (no internet... WAAA). We have a generator, but with the price of gasoline, that doesn't run very often. We've been eating out a lot... just moved the last of our belongings into the house on SAturday, because my daughter bought our trailer and her lease runs out on Thursday.

So, we're off grid, huh? It's quiet! Except when we start the generator so I can vaccuum, or so we can curl up and watch a movie once in awhile... The cats keep going under the love seat (which they recognize) and expecting to find their old home when they pop their heads back out! that's funny! Anyways... I love my house! It's beautiful! The painting turned out very well - I recommend Behr paint very highly!

I miss all of you! Our excavator doesn't return my calls, so who knows how long until we have our septic system and all the rest of our utilities... We were referred to him because our other excavator was behind and it would be "a few weeks"... yeah... shoulda waited on him... it's already been longer than that!

My daughter is home from the army (Korea) and is doing ok. I'll add some pics to my webshots when I get a chance. I'm at my dad's right now using dial up... yeah... I have to go back to dial up too! This wasn't too bad though... loaded in a decent amount of time. Probably will be the only site I visit.

Hey, we're having a bonfire party Saturday night.... c'mon over... I planned that way before I realized we'd be this far behind... can't cancel when you just run around telling everybody - hey, we're having a party Oct. 2. Stop by. (Shoulda kept a list of who I told... I just want to go to bed early!)

Sorry for rambling... the cats are all I've had to talk to since my husband left for work this morning... and he was grouchy, so I tried to avoid him! ;)

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Wheww it makes me tired just listening! Glad things are going well and DD is home!

Will you be getting hooked to the grid? Or planning on solar? Land line in your future? Or are you going with sat and telephony?

3. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

I didn't know you were throwing a 'Surprise Birthday Party" for me. I'll pretend, I didn't know about it, where is it goin' to be??????????????
    lacyj

4. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Congrats on a job well done! Celebrate every little victory: septic ground breaking, septic hook up, septic certification. Then all stand around and ooh and ahh over the first flush. I appreciate my septic all over again having lost weeks of power due to all the hurricanes. Enjoy every accomplishment...you've earned them!

5. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

I was wondering where you have been hiding. I am glad to hear that you are finally in your house and all is well with your family. Keep us posted when you have a chance to get on line...Laurie

6. Amy Jo

Amy Jo Well-Known Member

Just posting from my dad's again. The excavator is on my list of people I don't like! Still no show... We're renting a machine for the weekend to half fill the power trench so they will lay a phone line, and to cover the water line from the well, and backfill around the bilco door so I can get into my basement.... without climbing that ladder - I'm not fond of ladders.

It was under 30 degrees the other night... brrrr. Had the fireplace lit, but that just doesn't quite cut it, ya know? Hubby wants to get an insert. Plumber is doing our drain lines from the house to the basement wall today, where someday we hope to have a pipe to go to a septic system... ahhh, the dream of it all! At least I can get water out of my own well instead of hauling it.

We sang happy birthday to you! Could you hear us? My daughter had too many shots of tequila and fell into the trench with the water line in it... that wasn't good!

I miss you all so much! Glad I faced the house south - to someone's advice here... it does help warm things up on the chilly days - I lay black things on the floor where the sun hits and it helps absorb heat....

Last night when we were grumbling, I felt so ashamed... here we have a house which we've wanted for 14 years! - in the quiet, secluded country, and we're griping about how much work we have to do before and after, etc. But what else would we be doing more productive? So, we prayed for reminders to be thankful... then went out and split some wood, filled up the boxes with wood, lit the fireplace, started the generator and watched a movie all cuddled up on our couch in our new living room.

Our society gripes so much. I didn't used to be like that, but it's almost as though it's contagious! As though if you aren't feeling sorry for yourself, all you can do is listen to other people feel sorry for themselves - instead of recognizing life is full of ups and downs... and it gets so old listening to yourself and others complain and whine...

Oh well. Take care, all! I'll stop back next week sometime. Enjoy the lovely fall weather, the smell of the leaves on the ground in the woods, and the cool dry breezes... and lack of mosquitos! ;)