Yep, We Wear Shoes!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by heelpin, Nov 30, 2006.

1. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

2. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

Aw shucks -- no monster trucks, hog callin' or tractor pulls -- whadda ya' all do for some entertainment! :rotfl:

Ken in Glassboro, NJ

3. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

I read about this ad campaign. It looks good to me.

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Round these parts we shoot cottonmouths and scratch sketter bites fer fun. Whadda y'all do?

:p

5. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

No unkindness intended, but I find that this campaign speaks VOLUMES as to the past reputation of the state. I've always been intrigued by MS, but I know it gets too hot for me there.

6. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

Well, lets see. Glassboro is home of Rowan University so there's college sports. We're just a little ways from Cowtown Rodeo and the Bridgeport Speedway. We're also close to the beaches on the south Jersey shore and the Delaware Bay. Lotsa lakes for fishing as well as the Delaware River. If'in we feel like culture we can go into Philly (30 miles). Out of all that our favorites are Cowtown and fishing. My 16 yo DS would vote for surfing down the shore.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

7. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

Raven and all my pals in MS....Nice campaign. It really shows how much the gov't of your state values the perception by people in other states. We see you guys alot because my brother lives in Lucedale. I spend alot of time in MS and the place is absolutely beautiful. Well kept. Folks are nice and cordial. I just feel badly for ya'll because of the lack of coverage ya'll got after Katrina. From Hattiesburg south the Gulfport, the place was leveled. Neglecting water damage, there was by far more severe structural damage done on the MS gulf coast than in LA. And if you don't believe it, do a search for pix. I've seen it first hand.

I feel like MS is my second home and can't wait to join my brother there someday.

8. BigBoy

BigBoy No attitude here...

Sure, we have all that and more. (Well, maybe not the hog callin' :shrug: ) We run the gamut from bad to good; high brow to low brow... kind of like most places. But sometimes we have to remind those few "dumb S's" out there (like Charlie Rangel) that we aren't all a bunch of barefoot, toothless inbreds.

BTW... there's only one "a" in "y'all". :p

9. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Well looks like Alabama will need a new motto... our current motto being "Thank G*d for Mississippi!"

10. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

if you're cool. This kinda stuff....

http://www.deltablues.net (Scroll down to "Road Trip")

donsgal

11. Beststash

Beststash Well-Known Member

I think Mississippi is one of the most beautiful states in the nation. They have a lot to be proud of and I'm glad to see the campaign - I spent about a month in the Laurel/Hattiesburg area after Katrina with a volunteer group. They are some first class people in that area!!!

Peace

12. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

I've always been intrigued by Ohio...I've always wondered how anyone can stand the place... :rolleyes: :shrug:

***I'm just joshing Bob...***

I gotta say that now...I've been cursed twice today and referred to once as a "Dumb ------". That was nearly a curse. So now, when I'm joshing, I'm going to issue a disclaimer.

13. seedspreader

Well a couple good things about joshing me...

1. Even if you aren't I won't curse you.
    2. Even if you aren't I am not thin skinned.
    3. I josh with the best of them.

Now, back to Mississippi. I admire those on the Gulf Coast who, even though the destruction was much greater than N.O., got busy with it and jumped into helping themselves. I LOVE that kind of spirit.

14. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

Ya know, you hit the nail on the head here. Seems the focus was all about the Big Easy and the 9th ward, but We sent help to Biluxi and there were thousands of homes and businesses completely destroyed.

I think what I noticed was a distinct lack of ANGER, such as was depicted continuously in NO (and still is).

The people we dealt with were saddened, but still happy to be alive and all pitching in to help each other.

I think there is a different mentality in people who are self-reliant and those who are dependent.

I live in an area of heavy dependency, and ever since Thanksgiving, my phone has been ringing from strangers calling to see what our church is "Giving Away" at Christmas. They're shopping early this year. When I tell them that we're offering Jesus and Salvation at absolutely no charge, they always say, "No, I'm talking about food baskets or toys..."

Kinda makes me sad...

15. Country Lady

Country Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, thank you! I grew up in this area, but moved away for 30 years with my husband chasing a better paying job. We've been back now for several years and don't plan on ever leaving again. I have a few regrets that we didn't raise our kids in this part of the country though. It's nothing like it was when I was growing up, but then every other part of the country has changed too. Ms has changed for the better. Actually, I'd hate to see our area bought up by land developers. I like it the way it is.

16. seedspreader

We could start a whole thread on the solicitation of "help". I've had people who want help with cable TV, christmas gifts, etc. It takes a lot of discernment to figure out who really needs help. Sometimes I will get a call from a person, talk to them, then they will hang up, dial again (cause they are going down the phone book), I will tell them they just called and almost inevitably they just hang up on me.