Yellville AR??? Poteau, OK?? (and South to Red River)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by chickflick, Sep 20, 2005.

1. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Hi all.. I've been away a long time.... Moved from my NE Texas homestead to HOUSTON!! (Temporary while Hubby retires and we find land/place) Can you belive it??? I got rid of 99% of my stuff!! Animals, house and stuff(ings)!:O):):)

THEREFORE...........
    Since I'm spoiled by the NE Texas area (trees/lakes/hills).. but not quite sure I'll limit myself to that while searching for our next/first home.....

Who's from or knows about Yellville Arkansas area and also Around SE Oklahoma? Land seems to be reasonably priced enough.. but?? What are the littel ins and outs to watch for. All tips appreciated!

First priority this (hopefully) last time around is property with a spring.

Thanks!,
    Chick

Happy Homesteading, Y'all!!

2. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

I just moved 2 months ago 13.2 miles east of Yellville. For my purposes it's paradise. The properties are cheap here as are the taxes, car tags, living expenses. Drawbacks are finding reliable folks to do stuff on a paying basis. Shopping is handy, there is a Super Walmart would you believe just down the road 15 miles in Flippen pop. less than 1500!! Good local grocery, library is top notch, good vet over in Flippen reasonable and down to earth with prices and treatments. Nice, nice folks in the area everywhere. There are springs abounding but I found them mostly on up-and-down very hilly properties which were not suitable for my needs.

3. Gagirl

Gagirl North Carolina

My friend moved to Yellville...........
    She and her husband and childern are homesteading. I call her every month. I really admire her.
    She said the land is way cheaper than NC...........lol
    They are starting a fellowship and planning on building a church.
    I am so excited that you are out there.........
    She loves it.
    Gagirl

4. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

There is one real estate agent and company to AVOID at all costs ... and, no, I'm not going to post that info here. I've been threatened with legal action for "interfering with a businessman" for daring to warn people about that scumbag.

If you want to know, you'll have to PM me.
    (chickflick, I tried to PM the info, but I get the message your message box is full.)

5. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

We moved here (we live 6.5 miles from Yellville) little over 2 1/2 years ago. Love it! I do agree with hard to find someone to do stuff on paying basis (but like Hawaii, and South Louisiana it's the it don't matter we can always go fishing).

Peace and quiet is outstanding too. Baxter Regional Hospital is a great hospital system too. (It's in Mountain Home just 20 miles east).

My wife is a real estate agent and would love to hear from you. PM us and she'll get in contact with you.

Pat

6. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

sorry, ozark, I just saw that and cleaned it out today! Thanks!

7. kenuchelover

kenuchelover Well-Known Member

I've hunted land in LeFlore County, & driven around it a bit. I've also hunted land in other parts of SE Oklahoma (my family was from north-central & NE Oklahoma), & finally bought a place in Hughes Co.

GET A SOIL SURVEY! You can pick them up free from County extension, or have one mailed to you if you call them up. This tells you a lot about what can be done with the land.

Also use free online topographic map & satellite photo services (you get detailed info, including stuff to watch out for like nearby hog farms, coal pits, waste dumps, and so on).

If you send me your email, I'll forward you a copy of a single spaced 1 page letter I wrote some friends describing SE Oklahoma's virtues, land prices, and so on. I'm also willing to answer specific questions about the area, pass on contact info where relevant, etc.

SE Oklahoma is a GREAT area, but what you're looking for (farm? Isolated mountain cabin w/garden & a few chickens? Retirement place? Nearby jobs? Biker conventions? Specific type of church?) affects what I'd direct you towards.