Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching a video on SuspiciousObservers youtube, they were talking about the Sun and how it used to be yellow, and now it is white or light blue.

Has anyone here noticed that?

I think it was yellow, but was that just because we drew it yellow as children?

I don't know.

It seems that 20 years ago it would be yellow in the winter, than get whiter with summer and the heat, that was in Arizona.
I am in Maine now, and it is definitely white now.

·
Registered
Acta non verba
2,544 Posts
The progression of a star's color is tied to its composition and age: red is coolest, blue hottest, and other colors in between.

You're not supposed to look at the sun, so I can't tell for sure :cool:

I'm kidding. But in my 3 decades it seems the same to me.

·
Premium Member
34,587 Posts
If it goes out, we won't live long enough to notice.

But seriously, we see the sun that is tinted by viewing it through our atmosphere. The particulates floating in the air change the colors we perceive. The particulates are what make sunrises and sunsets so vividly colored. Last night our sunset cast a bright yellow glow across the area.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I'm in Maine too and sometimes it looks white, sometimes it is half hidden under the lines and sometimes it is bright orange at sunset.
I wouldn't give it too much worry. Worry is terrible to the human organism.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
If it goes out, we won't live long enough to notice.

But seriously, we see the sun that is tinted by viewing it through our atmosphere. The particulates floating in the air change the colors we perceive. The particulates are what make sunrises and sunsets so vividly colored. Last night our sunset cast a bright yellow glow across the area.
I agree with this. It's all about the particulates. Here in the northwest our sunsets usually cast shades of bright neon pink and violet because of the tiny particles of ice crystals that drift around in the atmosphere above the Pacific Ocean. Even in the summer there are ice crystals and if you look towards the sinking sun just before it reaches the Pacific horizon the sun looks pink and you can see a rainbow coloured halo around the sun because of refraction/defraction of light off the ice crystals. If there's a lot more ice crystals than usual in the atmosphere then you can see two rainbow halos around the sun with the smaller inner halo being more starkly vivid coloured than the larger outer halo which shows the rainbow colours in pale pastel shades.

592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi

I am not "worried" about the Sun, but I do find it curious though

I also was not very good in my description, What I was referring to is the Sun throughout most of the day, when it is high in the sky.

I know we drew the Sun yellow in pictures, but am not convinced how it looked... oh well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts