Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get seeds for this variety?

Thanks

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Apparently it's only available in Europe. Haven't heard of anyone handling it on this side of the Atlantic yet. Some reviews have it much like the old Yellow Pear.

Martin

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is were I saw it, but I do not see where they sell seeds? I always grow the yellow pear for my customers but really do not care for the flavor--bland. Thanks.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
I've never known Laurel to sell seeds, only plants. Gary Ibsen generally has everything that she has but doesn't have Yellow Submarine yet.

If you want a tomato of that type with a somewhat better taste than Yellow Pear, I've got Japanese Golden Pear. Isn't quite susceptible to cracking and doesn't sprawl all over the place. Had to grow it two years in a row to confirm that it was indeed a separate variety rather than Yellow Pear with a fancy name. If I don't list it in my next seed offer, request it anyway.

Martin

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Martin, I sell different colored cherry tomatoes and have found some very good varieties (Sun Gold, Black Cherry, and I had PeaceVine last year) but usually falter when describing the Yellow Pear--though some love it.

If you could recommend an outstanding red cherry--flavor, marketability (less cracking), production--I sure would appreciate it. I liked the PeaceVine's flavor but it did not produce like I would like.

I am thinking of adding a white cherry tomato also--Snow White.

elkwc--I checked for a PM and did not see one. I am wondering if something got messed up as I do not get instant messaging either?

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
If you couldn't get good production from Peacevine, you've got something else wrong. That and Matt's Wild Cherry tried to take over the back yard in 2007 despite growing in containers. Other good reds that I've grown recently were Gardeners Delight and Tommy Toes Red. A good yellow is Tommy Toes Yellow but usually larger than the Sungold types. Another would be Mirabell but some of my seed produced red fruit this year. Nice pink grape addition would be Amish Salad while a red one would be Moby Grape. All of those are productive and good in salads. You're missing a color in your mix, green. Green Grape is the best but misnamed since it's round. I've got seed for all of those mentioned.

By the way, Snow White isn't white. It's a pale yellow. I've not grown it since I haven't found anyone yet who is overly fond of it.

Martin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts