Yellow stools in babies?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by rainedaze, Apr 20, 2005.

1. rainedaze

rainedaze Well-Known Member

My babies that were born on Sunday are having yellow stools. The stools look the same as dog stools but they are yellow. Is this normal? Other than that they are acting fine. They are drinking 3 parts goat's milk to 1 part milk replacer. The babies that we had two weeks ago did not have this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

howdy gal....my last set of twins had this for about 4 days and it cleared up itself...keep an eye out make sure getting enough liquids so dont dehydrate...might just be they are getting use to the milk...i also give my kids water with baking soda in it between bottles...just so hydrated...if not watery stool I wouldnt treat for scours....just watch it and it may clear up.....have they had shots yet?......Temp?...was the birthing process easy?...the doe yer getting the milk from she have mastisis?..been tested for it or ceav?...dale anne

3. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Hi rainedaze,

Yellow stools with the consistency of dog stools sounds pretty normal to me for a kid this age..

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.

4. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

Sounds like the normal stool of a baby of ANY species that drinks milk! When you say 3 parts goats milk and 1 part replacer, make sure you're using the right amount of water to mix the replacer, and always keep fresh water available to them in a bucket. Especially as the weather gets warmer, they need to be able to learn to drink extra fluids as they require them. If your other kids didn't have stools like this, what did they have? Perhaps a little pastier would be expected, but the yellow color is the color of a milk diet.

Susan

5. rainedaze

Thank you for all of your responses. My other two goats started off with the usual black paste but then it turned to bb sized normal goat stools. It was always a black color. I am happy to know that this is normal and that there is nothing wrong with them. This is our first kidding season and it has been an experience so far.

Thank you again for your help.

6. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Hi raindaze,

The first black stuff is the plug coming out. I'm not at home to look up the proper term and I'm afraid that I would just mutilate the spelling if I tried from memory. The yellow usually comes after because of the milk and then the normal miniature size berries, especially after they get into more solid food. The amount and duration of any phase seems to vary greatly in our herd so that the transitions aren't always observable. The only thing that we worry about is that the plug comes out (with Boers there seems to at least always be some of the black residue on their rear ends) and that everything stays in one of these normal stages until it gets to be the berries. I suppose that if it stayed yellow for an extended period of time, I might worry, but I have never had that.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.

7. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

The first black tarry poop is called meconium, it is what has sealed the butt closed in the uterus for all those months. The colostrum has a really good laxative effect, and helps clear this out. The colostrum causes the yellow stools. The older the doe the more yellow the colostrum the thicker it is and the more runny her kids poop will be, it is doing it's job. Most does keep their kids licked fairly clean, but this can seal the butt if you don't do your job when bottle feeding of keeping them clean. Thank goodness for dogs :) Mine keep my babies butt clean :) Then once on all milk the berries will be tiny but they will be normal goat pellets. Vicki

8. rainedaze

Thank you for your response. That explains why I probably didn't notice yellow stools in the first set of twins. Their mother did not produce much colostrum. The doe of these twins produced colostrum for two days. I have learned so much this kidding season. Heather

9. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

most of my does hace colastrum in their milk for 4 to 5 days. IT is less each day, but it is still there. IF you want to see if the milk has colastrum still in it, pasturize it, if it comes out lookin like pi]udding, then there is still colasturm in the milk. also, you should always pasturize the milk that you give your babies, because if CAE, as a preventive, and always heat treat the colasturm.