Yellow Squash and Bacterial Leaf Spot....

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by emulkahi1, Aug 12, 2006.

1. emulkahi1

emulkahi1 Well-Known Member

I have been noticing that some of my squash plants have been losing more than their fair share of leaves lately. At first, I thought that the browning of some of the leaves was just due to the extreme heat we've been having (thought the 100 degree temps were burning them). But today, upon closer examination, I noticed that these spots appeared to look more like some sort of disease.

I did some hunting around, and bacterial leaf spot is what it seemed to look the most like. What do you all think? I also couldn't find anything that spoke of a treatment for it :shrug: . There ARE still some healthy looking leaves on these plants, so I was hoping there might be something I could do to prevent its spread. Tomatoes and yellow squash are two of my summer favorites...so I'd hate to just up and lose them all...

Anyway, they say a picture is worth a thousand words...so here are three :p

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. emulkahi1

I was just out removing the affected leaves when I noticed some other things about the plants that might be relevant.

The top picture is also from one of my yellow crookneck squash plants. Is it normal for that many of the blossoms to be shriveled like that? (The green 'stumps' are from the affected leaves I just cut out). My guess is no....If it's not, is it related to the leaf spot problem?
    [​IMG]
    This bottom picture is from a nearby winter squash plant (potimarron is the specific variety). LOL--We used an old bed frame and springs for the trellis, so this picture is looking underneath the bed. Note the rotten baby squash in the one o'clock position to the larger, healthy looking one. Also, the dead leaves. Is that bacterial wilt? It kind of looks like some of the pictures of that that I saw when looking for an I.D. on the leaf spot.
    [​IMG]
    I apologize for all of these questions. But ACK! It feels like my poor squash plants are under siege!! :Bawling: And last but not least, thanks so much for any and all ideas/advice :) !!

Erin

3. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Sorry, I can't see any of your pics...just a little red "x" for me.

4. Earthbound

Earthbound Well-Known Member

I can't see thie pics either.
    corry

5. emulkahi1

Hmmm....they show up in the posts for me. I'll try to figure out what's wrong...thanks for letting me know...

Erin

6. emulkahi1

Alright!! Got the pictures fixed I think. Sorry bout that folks!!