yellow scours

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by kesoaps, Apr 7, 2005.

1. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Since switching to milk replacer with the bottle baby, she's been dealing with quite the case of scours. I read that giving her electrolytes for a day will help. What's your experience been?

Also wondering if these little ones often sleep through the night? Last night was her third night indoors, and while she was up a few times the first night, the past two we've woken her up for a feeding (okay, dd woke her up last night, I was ready to sleep!) Yesterday morning she was sleeping so soundly I thought she was dead...but no, she was just plumb tuckered. I'm thinking we ought to just let her sleep (because I want to sleep) and not worry about it. She seems pretty bright and active otherwise.

2. Laurie J

Laurie J Well-Known Member

Hi! We have 4 bottle babies right now. One set is a week old, and the other was just born yesterday afternoon. The first set was loud and woke me up every 3 hours, so they would get a few ounces each time I fed them. This new set slept for 5 or 6 hours straight during the night (YES!) so I let them. I figure that they are eating much more at a bottle feeding than they would get nursing on the Mama, so it all works out. Our older set of lambs is now moved outside and is getting 10 ounces 5 times a day.

As for the scours, if you can get ahold of some goats milk, that is the very best thing for the babies. Find someone who has dairy goats. Very easy on the tummy! We had some frozen from our goats, and gradually work in to the lamb milk replacer.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Are you sure you're mixing the replacer correctly? Too much water and you'll flush the undigested milk into the intestine where it will cause scours. I'd give the lamb 3-6cc's of Pepto Bismol, and maybe skip a meal. Certainly more smaller meals are better than larger ones while they're (the lambs) are small. Switching to a real milk should help too.

4. kesoaps

Pepto Bismol, duh! Why didn't I think of that? The trouble began when we switched to the formula as her mamma isn't giving enough milk, and Dolly just can't quite give me enough milk for a full day with one or two milkings while trying to nurse her twins (poor girl!) I will try to get a bit more from her, though, and perhaps mix it with a couple of meals to see if we can get back on track. Thanks!

5. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

Our older set of lambs is now moved outside and is getting 10 ounces 5 times a day.

Wow, that's alot, what breed?

6. Laurie J

Laurie J Well-Known Member

Our sheep are Suffolk. They are little piggies and growing very rapidly. They are about 12 lbs. at birth, so bigger than a lot of other breeds of lambs.

7. norsebear

norsebear Member

If nothing else works try pig scour medicine its in a liquid form. My neighbor was told to use it by the feed store on his calves because it was cheaper and worked better. He brought some to us when one of our goats got the scours, we cut the dose and with one oral treatment, no more scours!!!! aka LIQUID SPECTAM, SCOUR-HALT

8. teddy

teddy Member

I know you've had tonnes of good advice so won't add too much! I bottle fed 25 babies last spring by myself I might add! I had super advice from my vet to deal with everything you can imagine......finally a vet who knows what she's talking about! Her best advice was to give lambs with upset tummies a tablet of Acidophilus (human stuff) this balances out acid in their bellies. Also "Kaopectate" is not as harsh on their bellies as pepto bismol. So if you can find that I would suggest that over pepto bismol. But I would also makesure that you are using a good brand of milk replacer, I went through a few brands before I found one to work great. Then do makesure you follow mixing instructions. Be very careful tghat you feed small amounts more often not larger amounts less often.

The first few days of the lambs life I fed every 2 hours! Sorry can't remember how it spaced out after that! I'd rather not remember that ordeal!

9. kesoaps

25 bottle babies? Obviously they weren't in your living room, dressed in diapers and pretty purple sweaters :haha:

I gave her a wee bit of pepto this afternoon (had to run out and get an eye dropper), plus milked a bit and added it to one of her bottles today. Still runnier than I'd like, but thickening up, so we'll see how the night goes and what tomorrow brings. I'd like to get this cleared up as I'm sure it's not good for her, but at least she's not dehydrating.

10. teddy

teddy Member

Actualy I'm afraid that they were all running through the house! Its difficult to invision! I moved them all into the attached garage, they came inside the house in small groups for feeding once fed they were exited out onto the large deck and then the next group was let in! I had it all down to a system!

Absolute mayhem! I just love my sheep waaaay too much! I have photos of them sleeping on the deck! Cost me over $1000.00 in milk replacer. But I think the whole time we were going through this episode not one baby peed or pooed in the house. House trained! The carpets definately got shampooed afterwards though!

As you can imagine the house was rather messy for two months! But we made it through. Not sure how I kept it together, or how my husband managed. Never again. But now I do have two more bottle babies as their mum is a total idiot and tramples her babies everytime we try to walk into the barn!

11. kesoaps

Teddy, I am impressed! Especially that your husband could tolerate it, as mine is :grump: , lol! Of course, we've not been so lucky with the clean carpet...

We actaully ran into someone who wants to buy our little girl, and with the cost of diapers and milk replacer, well, it's just something we've got to do. DD is crying already, but these folks are wanting to get a pet who'll just mow lawns and be their buddy, and since they've had sheep before (lost the last one to old age) and know they'll be feeding in the middle of the night, she'll be moving to a new home soon. We sure will miss her, but there's some consolation in knowing this one won't end up on the dinner plate.