Yellow Jacket Colony in our BRICK WORK

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by In Toronto, Sep 2, 2004.

1. In Toronto

In Toronto Guest

We had a yellow jacket colony inside the bricks of our house. There is a small air vent hole in the mortar, and that is where the queen got in.

We noticed this a few weeks ago when there where literally hundreds of yellow jackets flying in and out.

My solution:

I cut out the bottom of a clear, plastic club soda bottle. The very big size. I unscrewed the top, placed a neatly folded paper towel into the bottle and screwed the top back on with a small amount of the towel trapped in the screw top so it did not move.

I then sprayed a heavy dose of RAID YELLOW JACKET pesticide onto the paper towel and duct-tape the bottle over the opening of the hole and left it there for two weeks......400 (counted them) dead yellow jackets.

They would come out of the hole, fly to the paper towel, touch the pesticide on it and drop! Amazing.

No fuss, no problem.

I did this at night, around 10:00 pm when there was no activity. They all died in the morning when they came out.

I looked through the mess, after and found NO QUEEN however.

Not sure what to make of that!!

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Do yellow jackets hive like bees with a queen or are they communal mothers sharing a nest? Neat idea though, keeps the toxin out of your walls!

3. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Only about half of the yellow jackets have jobs outside the nest. So each day you will get fewer captures.

Eventually, the queen will die of starvation. She will not leave the nest. She cannot fly now. The workers must bring the food to the larvae for her to be fed. Since she is laying as many as a hundred eggs a day now, the workers will continue to emerge into your bottle for the time it takes for pupae to mature and emerge from the comb (about 21 days).

Although I salute your inventiveness, it may not work as well in all locations. As for the pesticides in the wall, the raid would break down in a few days since it is mostly pyrethroids. You might "refresh" your paper towel if you are still getting new workers trapped.
    gobug

4. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

Whoa ... the idea of that many yellow jackets in the house ... I would run screaming from the room, personally!

5. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Thanks for the great solution!!! We have a yellowjacket nest on the air intake for our furnace and I was trying to figure out how to kill them without forcing the nest further into the pipe.

6. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

toronto-
    The more I think about this the more I think this is a seriously good idea.
    You should contact the pesticide maker and get them to feature your idea;
    it could be worth a few bucks.