Yellow goop in both eyes...allergies?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jill.costello, Mar 28, 2005.

1. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

Hmmmm... yearling doe, just bred by visiting buck (and he ran her around for DAYS, the big jerk), is now showing yellow goop out of both eyes. NO nasal discharge, NO fever, NO coughing. She's eating, playing, etc, all normal, but this morning she looked up at me and had these thick, opaque yellow blobs in the corners of both eyes (about 1 ml each... the consistancy of thick jelly).

All the trees just bloomed, and the weeds shot up with the rain and 80 degree weather (Texas). Should I just wait and see if it gets worse? Or try her on an antihistamine? Which one?

Thanks! -Jill

2. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Hi Jill. Can you get any antibiotic opthalmic ointment for the eyes from your vet. Don't use just regular antibiotic ointment. It has to be specifically for the eyes. You can just wash her eyes out with a warm wash rag and watch it for a couple days. It could be allergies, a cold or it could be conjunctivitis (pink eye). It is contageous if it is pink eye. Did you notice anything in the "visiting buck's" eyes?

3. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

Nope- he's just fine; he's actually still here waiting for his owners to return from their Easter vacation. I looked in her eyes very carefully, and the whites are white, the lids aren't swollen, and there is no irritation around the tear ducts.

I have two types of opthamolic ointment- one is simply antibiotic, the other is steroidal.

I'll start with the antibiotic, and then try an antihistamine... do you know doseage and type for the antihistamine?

4. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I would not use the eye ointment with the steroid in it, just the plain. I would apply it twice daily for 5 days minimum. You can give a child's dose of liquid benadryl (or equate brand from WalMart) just like it has on the side of the bottle.