Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The two hogs I took to be processed weighed 980# together.

When the gentleman who helped me load the meat yesterday saw the fat he commented that it looked really, really good. These were the first hogs I've raised and I now understand they were pretty big - that "Top Hog" is closer to 200#. Fair enough, but I was raising these hogs for the fat, not for resale.

I'm browning sausage from them now and noticed they fat is yellow in color. I've been buying pastured pork for the past 7+ years from another farmer who is in he market to make money off his pigs, so I expect a different product! but I'm wondering if my hogs were healthy. His sausage usually has very little to no fat, but was often grisly. Does the color of the fat have anything to do with the health of the animal ?

Do you think my hogs were too big ? When I look at the meat through the plastic wrapper I don't see an excessive amount of fat but there is definitely much more fat in my sausage than I've seen outside of a Jimmy Dean package !!

Also, I was under the impression the jawls would be in the sausage but instead I have several packs of them frozen separately. What are my options with those ?

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
First if i may ask, what feed did you finish your hogs on.

You have some very good healthy fat.

The weigh is find. I butcher my hogs at 400-800 lbs. More fat and flavor.

The yellow is caused from mostly Carotenoid from grasses or from tannin from acorns that the hog may have been finished on. Which produces soft pliable easy to cut pork. Tenderness is from genetics,breed and feed that the pig was finished on.

Best,
Gerold.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Smoked Jowl in a pot of black eyed peas and cornbread. This will bring you good luck for the new year if eaten new years day. Along with a healthy serving of floured and fried side meat (fried side meat is optional, but good!!) And a big pot of greens (collards, mustard's, turnips, any will work) I have had them all on new years day and they all seem to be equally as lucky.
Basically the jowl can be sliced and used like bacon.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I smoke my jowls and eat like bacon...just a bit chewier than side bacon.

Reactions: PrettyPaisley

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First if i may ask, what feed did you finish your hogs on.

You have some very good healthy fat.

The weigh is find. I butcher my hogs at 400-800 lbs. More fat and flavor.

The yellow is caused from mostly Carotenoid from grasses or from tannin from acorns that the hog may have been finished on. Which produces soft pliable easy to cut pork. Tenderness is from genetics,breed and feed that the pig was finished on.

Best,
Gerold.

I actually didn't finish them off in the usual sense. I just fed them until it was time to take them in, withholding feed for two days before so they would get in the trailer with little resistance.

I don't like the spices they used for the breakfast sausage. :( I'll have to doctor it up when cooking each batch. Darn it !

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
I actually didn't finish them off in the usual sense. I just fed them until it was time to take them in, withholding feed for two days before so they would get in the trailer with little resistance.

I don't like the spices they used for the breakfast sausage. :( I'll have to doctor it up when cooking each batch. Darn it !
The processors around here is kind enough to let a person tell them what spices they would like and how much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts