Yellow bulbs are not supposed to attract bugs?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Oilpatch197, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

They say these bulbs don't attact bugs, cause bugs can't see yellow, however I leave it on for a 1/2 hour and a few bugs are swarming aroung the yellow light!!!

What gives?

2. Jerngen

Jerngen Perpetually curious! Supporter

I don't know!! I've read that myself but have noticed a few neighbors with yellow lights that are swamped by bugs! So I leave mine off! At least during the warm season.
    Will be interested to see what others have to say about it.

3. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

I've heard that too but I don't think that it helps very much. Maybe the bugs around here aren't "yellow blind"?

4. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Not that they won't attract bugs at all, but they attract less than other bulbs. The key is to have a flourescent light going elsewhere to attract the bugs to that, then use the yellow for the area you want lit, but not buggy. Bugs are attracted to flourescent more than yellow, as the theory goes.

5. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

Do you have the lights on in the house? It's possible that they are coming around the door trying to get to the inside lights? :shrug:

6. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I have yellow bulbs from HD and they work great. Had them for 2 years. The only thing that attracts bugs is when we leave the door open next to the light and they see the inside lights. Then they hang out on the screen.

7. sapphira

sapphira Well-Known Member

Bugs here absolutely love the yellow light. And the intelligent home designers put the light of course right next to the door. S.

8. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

We use the yellow lights to great effect. Some seasons, there are more bugs than others, but overall, we're quite pleased with the yellow bulbs. They're definitely better than the plain white ones!

Pony!

9. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

The point about yellow bulbs attracting fewer bugs that white bulbs sounds most reasonable. You might try putting a regular white bulb out there one night ..and test the theory yourself.

Also ..perhaps somes of the bugs are attracted to the heat of the bulb.