Yellow Bean Bugs

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by via media, Jul 29, 2005.

1. via media

via media Tub-thumper

I just discovered dime-sized circles of tiny, dark yellow eggs on the undersides of my bean leaves. I suspect that these eggs are hatching into small, dark yellow caterpillar-like critters with spiky hairs. The caterpillars are about ½" long. The caterpillars seem to be eating the leaves but can be shaken off the plant.

I cannot identify the eggs or the caterpillars on the internet and I'm afraid to spray a bunch of chemicals on my plants, as I am in the process of picking my first round of beans.

Does anyone know what these critters are and what the best way to treat them would be?

/VM

2. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

Those are the larvae of the Mexican bean beatle. First you get the beatle. It looks kind of like a ladybug but it's more coppery color. Then you get those tiny yellow eggs underneath the leaves of the bean plant. Then you get the yellow larvae. They are soft bodied and look like little white hairs are coming out of them. Kill them. They eat your bean plants up. I despise them.

Laura Lynn

3. via media

via media Tub-thumper

I just looked up pictures of the MBB and you are EXACTLY right. I was being extra careful not to disturb the odd-looking "ladybugs" because I thought they were doing something good :(

Thank you so much for saving my beans!!!

/VM