yeast infection in dog ears?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sue currin, Aug 30, 2004.

1. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

I have a dog that gets bad yeast infections in her ears, And I was hoping some one might know a good home solution instead of the vet stuff that really doesn't work well. thank you all. sue

2. Dances In Woods

Dances In Woods Well-Known Member

Hi Sue,

Our Vet told us to mix ..........
    1 part white vinegar
    1 part rubbing alcohol
    apply 2X daily

if it stings the dog's ear too much then to add a little water to it.Also if you can hopefully keep the dog still while you work on each ear it helps if the mixture can sit in the ear maybe 30seconds then let the dog shake it out then gently wipe out the ear with a cotton ball.
    We've had good luck with it.

3. practical-cat

practical-cat Member

Try the over the counter remedies for women's yeast infections, like Gyne-Lotrimin (spelling?). When our dog had a yeast infection in his ear, (after I paid for the expensive prescription) the vet admitted that yeast is yeast and the over the counter creams that are sold in the pharmacy for women would work as well. Grrrrr.

4. Stand_Watie

Stand_Watie Well-Known Member

As practical-cat said, yeast is yeast. The walmart brand of athlete's foot cream runs for two bucks a tube. It's good for athlete's foot, jock itch, ringworm, yeast infections like in the folds of a dog's neck etc.

5. Lauriebelle

Lauriebelle Well-Known Member

Hi Sue,

Veterinarian's Best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ear Relief Wash and Ear Relief Dry!!!!!

My dog has had yeast infections in her ears for her entire life!!! Thats over 5 years!!! We have tried it all! Her vet has prescribed two different drugs, two different washes, I have used herbal and homeopathic treatments.

I did some research and found out that MOST yeast infections in dogs are an allergic reaction. So I tried diet changes and I mean all of them!! :eek: She now eats a raw diet and while it has helped somewhat it has not cured the problem completely. We now believe it must be an allergy to dust or mold.

Anyway, I came across Veterinarians Best at Petco and thought I'd give it a try. WELL IT WORKED!!! Her infection is never gone(because the allergen remains) but this stuff gives her a good amount of time between treatments and I see a huge difference in the amount of discomfort she has. Plus, a huge bonus, it smells good.

http://www.petco.com/product_info.a...st+ear+wash&ei=UTF-8&fr=slv1-&n=20&fl=0&x=wrt

Let me know if you have any questions Sue! ~Laurie

6. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

For yeast infections on skin I have used a few drops of oil of oregano mixed with a tablespoon of olive oil. This mix got rid of the infection when none of the over the counter products for athlete's foot worked. There was major improvement in the pain in a few hours after the first application. I would think this would work in the pet ears also. I have used it in my cat's ears for mite problems.