Yearly Pest Control Inspection - How Important ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by elizabeth-s, Nov 27, 2006.

1. elizabeth-s

elizabeth-s Member

Hi Guys,

We have a farmhouse built around 1940 - complete with yucky crawlspace.

We have been paying $100/year for a pest control contract. The inspector crawls around the crawlspace with a flashlite looking for signs of termites and/or powderpost beetles. BTW we live in Virginia. The inspector never finds any signs of pests, but always comments that there is too much moisture in the crawlspace, which he says is worst than termites.

A few years ago they recommended we add vents to the crawlspace to reduce the moisture, so we payed them to do it. My husband is disgruntled and says the vents cause more moisture in the crawlspace....

Anyway, its time for our yearly inspection again, and basically my question is... is it worth the money and the hassle of scheduling an inspection appointment to get a yearly pest inspection? How important is it REALLY?

Thanks!

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I think a little over $8 a month is cheap insurance against termite damage that could cost you thousands if not found in time. And theres no way vents could ADD moisture under your house. But if youre not happy paying it dont do it. If your contract says they will cover any damage from pests that they miss I still think its a good deal.

3. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

If your husband doesn't mind going into crawlspaces, couldn't he do the inspection? Look for mud tunnels on posts leading from the ground. Poke around with a sharp instrument for soft/eaten wood. Read up on termites and save some money.

4. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Even though I subsist on social security payments, and the cost of inspections really hurts, I still have them done every year. It's the one year you DON'T have it done that the termites will be there! And the cost of fixing the problem can be enormous. Think of it as insurance. Just once they found termites in a tree in the garden. It gave me an almighty fright, but it taught me that inspections are worth it, because I never noticed anything untoward about the tree, which is perilously close to the house. You house is the largest single investment you're ever likely to make. Don't risk having it eaten away. Perhaps you could also do what I've done - place termite baits in strategic places around your home. If you inspect them every month, you've got a better chance of discovering a problem before it gets out of hand.

As for the moisture problem - get that fixed by the recommended methods, because termites just LOVE moisture! Good air circulation is essential for rectifying moisture problems.

5. elizabeth-s

elizabeth-s Member

thanks guys - excellent advice as usual.

Can Bearfootfarm or someone explain why adding vents to the crawlspace a few years ago could not have increased the moisture? Or could not have been responsible for letting more moisture into the crawlspace?

thanks!

6. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Most vents I'm familiar with have louvers that point downward, so unless you have Forrest Gump big fat jumping up from the ground rain not much chance of water getting in. They do let air circulate though so it will allow any ground moisture that is there to get out.