Yearling udder developement..pregnancy??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jill.costello, Apr 29, 2005.

1. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

Hi All-

My two yearlings who were exposed to a buck (one loved him, one hated him.....we never saw him "finish the job"........) Are now growing longer teats with little loose flesh around the base... is this a sign that they're "building an udder", or just natural maturing? They are 1 yr old and 1.5 year old.

Thanks!!

2. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

The udders my girls give me when they are first timers, it feels like a ziplock baggie with a little water in it. That's the only way I can describe it.

The other girls that were a year or older that weren't bred yet, they really had nothing going on.

3. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Hi Jill,

It sounds like it. If the udder keeps developing, then probably so. Most of our does will have a good size bag as much as a month before kidding.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.

4. BucksCtyCowgirl

BucksCtyCowgirl Member

When y'all say that your does have udders at least a month prior to kidding -- are these does who have kidded previously? Our nigerian dwarf doe is just 3 weeks from kidding but has virtually no enlargement of her teats and no udder showing. Have you ever heard of this before? She is almost 4 years old and never has been bred before, so I assumed this was the reason. Thanks for replying.