Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long will it take him to recover? I took a yearling buck to the vet Tuesday to be wethered (I've been saving him to be a pack wether, and didn't want him wethered young). This is Friday, and while he is eating and drinking, and the wound site looks good (and I'm keeping wound spray on it that I got from the vet, so we don't get maggots, which I'm also watching for), he still is definitely not back to his normal self. Any idea how long it will take him to recover completely?

Kathleen

·
Registered
348 Posts
My guess would be 5-7 days. however my husband said and I quote "OUCH...He will never recover". LOL He also won't help me castrate my boys anymore. I cut, and he helped me one time, and all I heard was "are you done yet, are you done yet, are you done yet" while he was holding them. I swear he was worse than a kid. Next time I will have my 7 yr old daughter help me. :)

Laura

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
My experience has been that when they're little bitty ( a week or two old) they get over it within the day...if they're cut and not banded.

I did an older buck (he was less than a year but had fully developed testicles, size of a mature buck) and I'll never do it again. It was a lot harder to do and he took a lot longer to recover, the scrotum didn't drain like it should, he lost weight...I didn't consider it very successful although he did recover.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts