Yearling doe's first exposure 2 buck.....

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jill.costello, Mar 18, 2005.

1. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,
    I am getting a tad anxious about my yearling doe's first attempt at getting bred... she seems quite stressed, confused, and depressed.

We found a smashing young Alpine-X buck and got to see his mother and twin sister: both smaller-than-average size with sweet expression and great udders. He is only a few months over 1 year old, so for my doe's first exposure we thought he would be a good pick.

He was quite a gentleman when we brought him home for his "visit", and leads by his collar, etc. When introduced to my doe, he was not overly aggressive or pushy- they just did alot of circling and dashing about. By day two, he was in raging rut; jibber jabbering with his tongue out and peeing on himself. The doe is completely unimpressed, but IS flagging her tail and peeing a lot. She follows him around at a distance, but when he tries to get in close to sniff/mount, she darts off. Now, on day three, he is chasing her (they are locked in their pen together at night only; roomy with plenty of hay). He chased her all over creation today and then she just seemed to collapse and ignore him. She laid down under the steps of my porch and refused to come out, even for grain! The buck is chewing her ear, mouthing her horns, and jibber-jabbering at her, but she acts as though he isn't even there.

She is unusually quiet this evening, and to our great surprize, allowed my husband to scratch her all over her head: she has NEVER let anyone but me do that! I am so worried that I somehow screwed this up for her.... should I not have let the buck in "her" house?? If she's not in heat, then why would he be in such hard rut?? Could there just simply be no "chemistry".....(good lord!)

Also, her little cousin-doe (my only other goat and her best friend) is feeling left out and they just seem to miss each other.... I don't want this buck's visit to make both my girls sick with stress....it just isn't worth it....

Worried......-Jill

2. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

It seems to me that your doe is just pouting. She's been put in a situation that she doesn't like and she's telling you about it. She really should be put in a pen with the buck and left alone. He will get the job done if she's in heat and it sounds like she is. He has probably already bred her in the confines of the barn at night and you just weren't there to witness it. Most of the time a buck breeds a doe more than once that is why he's probably still going after her. She could have also been in a false heat. Many times first time does are bred, they come into a false heat when introduced to a buck they have never seen or smelled before. They will flag and follow at a distance and maybe even have a littel discharge. But after another week to 10 days she should come back into a full heat and he won't have to chase her, she'll be more than willing. Sometimes this is better, the doe is more fertile the next time around.

As long as your doe isn't getting beat up badly by the buck, I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you have 2 different spots where they can both eat in the same pen. A goat's pecking order is harsh, but they usually work it out and it only makes things worse when we humans interfere. I would put them up and ingnore her unless he is really hurting her, which from whay you explained, it didn't sound like he was. She's just trying to make you feel sorry for her.

3. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Do not let the doe stay in with the buck. When she is truly in she will run to where he is and won't leave. Bucks become overly aggressive and can hurt your doe if she is left alone with him, especially all night long without you to observe. Last year we put our youngest doe in with our buck and he bred her once so we took her out immediately. She is due in two months. Just give her time.