Yearling doe ALREADY making milk???????

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jill.costello, Jun 23, 2005.

1. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

Hi all-
    Both my yearlings were exposed to the buck on March 14th-March 29th. The one who was his *favorite* was laying on my lap today, and I felt her udder and gave a tug on each teat.....she has sticky milk already! Is this normal so far out from delivery?? It was pearly white, no lumps, and thick like cream.

Thanks, -Jill

2. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

It is for a doe to start producing milk once they are 3 months pregnent. They also will start getting the udder development.

So I would say that yep your doe is doing what is perfectly normal :) . Now mine like to keep me guessing sometimes so consider your self lucky that she is showing some sign of being pregnent at 3 months :) :) :) .

MotherClucker

3. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

WOW! That's great news. I hope this doesn't mean she'll be having big babies... she's the smallish one.

I also need to trim their hooves; they're overdue.....Is it "too late" to lay them down to do them? (I have layed them down to trim them every 8 weeks since they were weaned, so they're used to it- they just lounge on my lap until I'm done)... I don't have a milkstand built yet.

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

You should be trimming feet monthly anyway, bred or not. This way it isn't a chore, just a nice easy trim. Now I don't ask my older heavy bred does to jump up on the milkstand the last 50 days to trim feet, but will do it clipped to the fence. Obviously if your goats are of the rodeo variety, catch pen to squeeze shute, than of course forgoing those last several months of foot trimming because of stress is of course important.

Yes she could be bred and showing milk this early, but likely not, their first milk is actually clearish fluid and then colostrum, not milk. But a yearling from good milking lines, bred or not can fill and udder in the spring when she normally in another herd would be already milking. But :) You do not want to open the orifice like this in dry does, the plug that usually is in the teat is now gone, which means when the udder is full with colostrum she can leak from the pressure when laying down. And a doe who is leaking is ripe for mastitis. Teat dip her and leave her alone. Also with her milking now, you do not want her to get a taste for her own milk, a nitemare. Vicki

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I have the same problem all our goats, except the firstimer, don't bag up until 2 or so weeks before kidding.