Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our growing season here is just too short to grow most things. About the time garden plants start producing we get a frost. Summers here, although not real hot, are very dry and affect the more succulent plants.

As part of the overall Big Plan I had visions of a large, in-ground greenhouse.

Since the world seems to be coming apart at the seams, Plan D34a is in effect!

We put a deck around the place last summer. We do not use the south facing deck much at all. So it volunteered 30 feet of deck space to become a greenhouse.

I used only redwood and cedar for construction. Triple-layered polycarbonate (insulated) for letting the sun shine in. All screws because I can fix mistakes easier that way.

Plumbing, electric and a small propane furnace are going in this week. We should be able to produce vegetables and fruit from dwarf trees year round.

Well, I have pics I wanted to attach but apparently I need to set up an account somewhere for linking.

30' x 7' with 6 feet of exposure on south, east, west walls and 6 feet of exposure on roof (4/12 pitch).

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
Sounds a thousands times more elaborate than mine (and bigger). Use photobucket... it's a good hosting site and free. And really easy to copy and paste it's "img" format for bulletin boards. Just click (don't even have to copy) on the 'img' tag and come here and copy.

Here is all about mine... http://themodernhomestead.com/Blog/?tag=greenhouse

We're just at the beginning of our greenhouse journey, but just 5 minutes ago I was standing in it with Amy reveling in the fact that the 40 mph winds and teens for temps right now and the greenhouse is still at least 60 degrees.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
lol, that IMG tag always says it's copied, but i never trusted it. i always seem to be in a hurry and i made sure it was copied. i have coached lots of folks to copy that IMG tag, but i am pretty sure you are correct. :)

use photobucket 7.62, it is really easy. i like the new feature where pics are resized to a size of your choosing when you upload them.

where did you get the triple layered poly sheets? how much were they?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CPC-CL16

I ordered the 6' x 10' sheets. When I received it I realized that it was going the wrong direction per the instructions (duh, which you can download before you order). I had to cut it. Nothing more than a fine circular saw blade and a 2x4 and c-clamps for a fence.

They came in a crate on a UPS van. I have a forklift attachment for the tractor but we just unloaded it by hand.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I wanted a gh for years and finally got one about four years ago. It's a hoop house with roll up sides. We are going to replace the plastic and I'm thinking about the poly wall for the ends. The thing I found surprising about the gh is how hard it is to cool off in the summer. Seems like no matter what we do - even rolling up the sides, it is just too hot to keep anything in it.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heat in the summer will be a problem. This spring I will order a vent fan for both ends to go high between the door and the house wall. Heck, with no heat in there it gets a good 20 degrees warmer during the day.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
maybe that would function like the dugout greenhouse on the gardening forum. maybe the deck could be a cold well (or whatever) where the colder air sinks down. it looks like the deck is enclosed, so there shouldn't be much of a draft.

7.62...is the entire roof covered in the clear poly?

·
Registered
121 Posts
We maintain 3 greenhouses 2 heated. Our winters are perhaps longer and colder than most so we need to raise most of our food. In Dec and Jan there is not enough daylight to have any significant growth but we have found that if you have a good size crop before the light gets short it will stay 2 months through the coldest time thats if you keep the temps above 60F. It really does not take much wood for the Fisher to keep it to 60f, of course some times it tumbles down to 45 or such but if we get it right back to 60 all is well. Its like hibernation the crop just sits there. Our greenhouses are all 20' by 30' by 12' tall with a false ceiling on the winter greenhouse of clear panels to keep the heat down. One unheated for tomatoes,squash and other canners, another heated just to extend growing season and the winter keeper greenhouse. We have had alot of different covers over the years but are currently happy with the Suntuff panels.
This is all because we do not have power to use in the greenhouses. I read on line about people and their "heaters" and if one does not have or want to cut wood then another type of heater is possible. The big advantage to our system is cost. I think with the new EPA stoves its easy to find old "smoke dragons" for cheap. Probably more work than most want to do but we love it and when we are snowed in taking care of one winter greenhouse is fun.
One other thought on keeping the greenhouse cool enough. In our climate we do get some heat insummer the high roof and large size of the greenhouse helps a lot. The ends of our greenhouses have extensive, large windows and doors. But if you are having serious trouble with heat then try shade. It can be as simple as hanging old blankets in strategic spots to keep the hottest time of the day off the greenhouse.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did I miss where you said what you were going to do with the floor/decking? Do you have insulation under it?
We looked at closing it in but we asked: Where will the water go? We decided to use the deck as a floor drain.

So we opted to close it in below - draft-free. And that is why the front is closed. Another reason to close it was to hide the concrete piers.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
maybe that would function like the dugout greenhouse on the gardening forum. maybe the deck could be a cold well (or whatever) where the colder air sinks down. it looks like the deck is enclosed, so there shouldn't be much of a draft.

7.62...is the entire roof covered in the clear poly?
Nearly. Before college I did some roofing. I could not figure how to get from the panel back to the roof to the eve. So I took the poly out to the eve and lost about 18 inches of roof.

·
keep it simple and honest
3,810 Posts
dwarf fruit trees for year round fruit?
Fruit trees have a specific time when they fruit so your harvest is timed by that. They aren't going to keep on fruiting longer than that...
Now, if you are talking about fruit trees that would normally not survive in your winters, you may be successful in raising fruit, but it will still only fruit at a specific time...and then you need pollination.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
He might be able to raise dwarf citrus in that greenhouse, and when we had a dwarf orange tree in our house, it seemed to have fruit on it most of the time.

That's a nice greenhouse! VERY nice! I'm a little concerned about the roof glazing, though -- I think you are going to have serious over-heating problems in the summer! Do you have plans to shade that?

Kathleen

·
Pragmatist
2,092 Posts
If you don't have it already, you need to get a copy of this:

http://www.amazon.com/Four-Season-H...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230399034&sr=1-1

There are some plants you will have great success with and others that just can't be forced. For example, I don't care how warm you keep it, you will likely never produce bananas. You might be able to get a few lemons or limes off of a miniature citrus plant, but that depends on amount of sunlight.

I'd love to see regular updates on how this works for you. I worked in a greenhouse for a while and have thought about adding on something similar to the front of our house. Our growing season is long enough here, that I don't really need to augment with greenhouse grown, but I would like to have a place to keep a bay tree, a couple of citrus plants and fresh herbs. I know those will work here.

Your carpentry work is lovely.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
ok 7.62mmFMJ when can you come help me make one of those ?? that is really nice looking

1 - 20 of 21 Posts