year round creek???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by punkrockpilot, Feb 10, 2004.

1. punkrockpilot

punkrockpilot Well-Known Member

Hi all. I moved out of the Ozarks a few years ago and New Orleans is really nasty and bringing me down, so I am headed back up in 2 weeks to look at 5 properties with "year round creeks". I have 4 days to look and I am bringing water test kits to test the creeks.

My question: Is there any way to tell if a creek truly does run year round???

Thanks in advance...

Greg

2. Stray Cat

Stray Cat Well-Known Member

Nope. Unless it has a natural spring and even then there is no way of telling.

3. The best way of telling is to visit the creek around the 1st of September when the annual drought is coming to a end. This is when the streams and ponds are the lowest. Also find a creek that still has shade trees on both sides of the creek for about 50' or so away from the bank. No shade means more evaporation during the hot sunny days. No shade also means greater algae and bloom if the creek is haveing a lot of fertilizer or sewege entering up stream. Good luck these kind of creeks are getting scareser and scareser.

4. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Best way (best chance of a true result) on your short timeframe would be to go downstream two or three properties (not right next door, but not too far away) explain you're looking at a property, and ask them how long the streams run. Don't explain that they've been advertised as year-round, just ask how long.

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Greg around here most Creeks run year round,only problem I've seen is they get choked with Gravel and you can't dig it out without a Mining Permit.

Now if it is a Spring like I have,some are wet weather.Mine never dries up on my side of the road,on the other side it is dry most of the time.

You said you were going to test it.To see if its Drinkable,more than likely not,most have some nasty Parasites.

Where are you looking at?

big rockpile

6. punkrockpilot

punkrockpilot Well-Known Member

Thanks for your answers so far, I am not sure if any of these properties have close neighbors yet. The tests I have include lead, chlorine, nitrates, bacteria, pesticides, hardness and ph. I have a ceramic drip filter to last me until I have a well put in, I'm just curious of whats going on upstream. The properties are in the Yellville area. I lived in the Peel, Lead Hill area for about 5 years. The main reason for a creek is for power generation. I have looked a property in the area with creeks before and have seen several with creeks that run at a good clip.

7. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

When you find a property you are particularly interested in go to the local county airport and ask if there is anyone there who does tour-type flying. Locally a guy will do an area overfly for $75 for a one-hour flight. You can see a lot in one hour. Make sure they are licensed to fly other people though in case of an accident.

On creek gravel. Check to see if there are two types of permits - one for on-the-farm use and commercial. I have the first one (called a dredge permit) which allows me to remove gravel from the creek for my own use. Fairly reasonable restrictions, such as don't put equipment in the water or dig in a manner to cloud the water downstream. I can go below water level if I leave a coffer-dam.

Ken S. in WC TN

8. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

A water test will only be valid for that exact time on a flowing stream as new water moves in all the time!The best way to tell if it has water the year round is check for minows or other life forms that require water to live.We have 2 seperate streams that flow year round but wouldn't make enough hydropower for a flashlight in prolonged dry weather :no:
    Mr. Wanda
    Mike