Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found some hay on craigslist near me that was cut last September (2013) and stored in a barn. I contacted the person and they said it had not been wet and wasn't molded. It is $1 per bale if I get all of it.

What are the chances my goats and cows will eat it?

Does hay nutrient density decrease a lot over this period of time?

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,022 Posts
If it was in good condition when it was put in the barn, it should still be almost as good.

·
Banned
309 Posts
It's nutritional quality will be lower but I'd sure as heck jump on it! So it takes a little more hay to keep them up? Maybe but you probably won't notice a difference. Price is right and it's truly not moldy I'd do it for sure.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Year old hay in a barn jump on it. 10 year old hay outside not worth it. I have feed three year old hay stored in rounds outside just needed to feed a little more but cows like it just fine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok thanks. I was going to go look at it tomorrow but it's been raining cats and dogs today and is supposed to storm tomorrow too so I'd probably end up getting it wet. Hopefully, he'll still have it when I get a good day to go

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
You can feed out 10 year old hay and it will still be palatable and nutritional. Bust open a bale and inspect it for mold....I'd jump on that deal asap.
My Dad fed 50 year old hay - at least - to his cows, and you would swear they thought it was the best hay! This was hay that was put away in the barn loose - back in the day when they stored hay loose. He would feed the hay he baled and once we used up all the bales on that side of the barn that was sitting on top of the stack of loose hay, he would feed it to the cows to get it used up so he could stack baled hay starting on the floor boards.

I'm sure some of that 50 year old hay lost nutrients - and it was dusty, but the cows loved it anyway.

For $1.00 / bale of year old hay stored in a barn, you would be a fool to NOT buy it!

Go TOMORROW and check it out. If this deal bypasses you, you WILL regret it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I tend to over buy hay and often have some left from the previous year, I've never had an issue feeding it to horses, goats or cattle. I currently have some that is 3 years old that I am trying to use as bedding, I can't convince anyone it isn't food.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I've got hundreds of 25+ year old small square bales in my barn, that I use as mulch hay, bedding, etc. My cows will bypass lush green pastures AND 5 month old fresh hay to eat that old stuff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts