Year-old corn seed: Will it grow?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by willow_girl, May 4, 2005.

  1. willow_girl

    willow_girl Very Dairy

    Messages:
    14,609
    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2002
    Location:
    Dysfunction Junction
    I didn't get a chance to plant corn last year due to the vagaries of the weather (stayed wet too late to till the patch in time). So I have small quantitities of sweet corn seed (Bodacious and Silver Queen) left over.

    Is it worth planting this year?

    If so, should I sow more thickly than usual to make up for reduced germination?

    Thanks! :)
     
  2. Shahbazin

    Shahbazin Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    395
    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2002
    According to Seed To Seed (a book on growing & saving your own seeds), sweet corn is good to grow for 3 years, & flint, dent & popcorns are good for 5-10 years (sometimes much longer) if kept in cool, dry, dark conditions.
     

  3. bethlaf

    bethlaf Homegrown Family

    Messages:
    747
    Joined:
    May 26, 2004
    Location:
    N.Ar
    it should be fine, generally speaking even hybrids store ok for a year or so , many of us thrify gardeners buy our seed for the next year in fall when the seeds are on close out :D like 20-30 packets for a buck
    you could soak some ,and see if it sprouts , then you would be assured what your germ rate would be
     
  4. Manny

    Manny Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    308
    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2003
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    I tried pre-sprouting some Kandy Korn seed from last year and had over 80% germination in two days. I planted what was sprouting into the garden this morning and I think that I'll have the other 20% of the seed germinate by tomorrow or the next day and will complete planting my corn patch with these seeds. I find I have a higher rate of success with seeds if I pre-sprout---I find I can get better spacing of plants, eliminate thinning and get a head start on the season by sprouting in a warm climate and then planting in a cooler soil.
     
  5. MELOC

    MELOC Master Of My Domain

    Messages:
    7,220
    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2005
    Location:
    Pennsylvania
    just be careful buying in bulk, lol. i bought several pounds of sweetcorn hybrid seed a couple years ago. everyone in the family was gonna take some...until i actually got it. so i had alot left over. i did not keep it sealed up very well and one day noticed that is was full of worms. i would of thought that since it was treated, insects would not be a concern but apparently it is treated with a funguscide not insecticide. if you buy in bulk make sure you store it well.
     
  6. Cyngbaeld

    Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

    Messages:
    28,248
    Joined:
    May 20, 2004
    Location:
    SE Missouri
    Good point, MELOC! I try to mix some DE in with my seeds if they don't get planted right away.
     
  7. Pony

    Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    19,807
    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2003
  8. Kee Wan

    Kee Wan Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    317
    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2005
    I know that we eat the corn that everyoen else grows for decoration (the multi-colored indian corn) and I have planted - and had grow - :D seeds that I had on the wall for a couple of years.....i can't imagine that seeds that were just a year old would be bad yet....maybe some won't sprout, but mose should be ok.....