yeah!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by birdie_poo, Apr 9, 2005.

1. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I just put in 30 strawberry plants. I dug out an area that my grey water goes to, put in some wire mesh and then mounded the dirt, mauer and straw/leaves on it. I edged it, then put weed barrier on top, tucked that in really good and planted the strawberries in through little slits. It looks so nice!

I dug out another area in another garden and did the same thing, only I will plant squash.

2. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Hey birdie,
    This is my first year planting strawberries. I planted 75 plants. Some in 1 gallons and some in planters. Will this work? Do they have to be planted directly in the ground? If they do live, will the strawberries bear this year? I have 3 differndt varieties.
    Thanks,
    tnborn

3. birdie_poo

There are things called strawberry pots that are clay...If you can plant 5 in there, then I don't see why they wont grow in pots...you just need to make sure they get water.

They strawberries that are sold commercially, are supposed to bear fruit that same year, so unless you got pups from someone else, then you will probably get fruit. As for the varieties, I'm not a strawberry pro, so I do not know what you have and what you wil lget, but wishing you lots of luck!

4. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

thanks wendy :)
    Have a nice day
    tnborn

5. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

You should not use grey water on food plants. It's very high in bacteria which affect the food.

6. birdie_poo

Actually, grey water is much safer than using blackwater (sewage) as it decays much faster, and doesn't carry the quantities of bacteria as the black water.

I think the Swedes have been using grey water for some time for the same purpose, only difference, my grey water is strictly from the wash and does not include sink or shower water. I use very little detergent (that are biodegradable and non polutants). The water does not go directly on the plants, but rather it is absorbed via the dirt, so a little percolation happens, too.

Besides, I'd rather take my chances with my own grey water, than some of the stuff on the market that is supposed to be safe to put on food. Some are marketing sludge (from human waste) as an organic fertilizer. Yeah, it comes from an organic source, but can you imagine what some of them may have eaten :no: . :haha:

7. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Amen!

8. rwt

rwt Member

Different states, different rules. My recolection is do not use gey water on:
    1 Root Crops
    2 Any Fruit or Vegitable that can touch the ground

There are quite a few other regs. for indiviual state, but these should make it safe.
    rwt