YEAH!! The changes worked!!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Wildfire_Jewel, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Wildfire_Jewel

Wildfire_Jewel Well-Known Member Supporter

:dance: We have 12 new mini rex's from 2 moms!! One actually had 8 but one died in the nest (not sure if it was ever alive) and another she must of had on the wire (or it forgot to let go) and had crawled out the front wire and got too cold. I am praying for the really mild weather to continue for a bit longer so they get a bit of fuzz on them :) Although we have run an extension cord out to the shed so we can run the heater if it ever gets that cold> I am sooo glad we put that gate up to keep the dogs out....Such a little thing to us but it must have been a huge deal to them. We have (hopefully) 3 more litters due by the first of the year. THANKS for all the extra help thinking things thru!!
    Melissa

2. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

As long as the nest has enough material and is well built the kits will be cozy and warm. They give off a lot of heat. Reach in to feel them - you'll be surprised at how warm they are. I wouldn't give them additional heat now. If they don't acclimate and the heater goes out you'll have a problem.

3. Wildfire_Jewel

Wildfire_Jewel Well-Known Member Supporter

It is just there IF it gets below freezing.....it isn't on right now. Shoot it is raining and in the 40's I believe right now. I swear the one mom pulled herself naked there is so much fur in teh nest :rolleyes: These are both proven moms so they knew what they were doing. The one doe just lost her last litter to stress (I posted for help on this a bit ago). I am just so anxious to see what they will turn out like!! We have never had this many to choose show potentials out of :)
    melissa

4. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Congrats, Melissa!

5. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

6. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

That's terrific news, MelissaI I'm so glad to hear that things are going better! :)