Yeah!!! Got the 1st fee waiver!!!

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by birdie_poo, Dec 5, 2005.

1. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

While my children are in high school, they get 'free' admission to the local community college. The fees that aren't waived add up to $19 for 4 units. I did the dreaded paperwork, cut off an arm and leg and deeded the first born, but finally got all the fees waived because hubby is 40% disabled.

Granted $19 a semester per (3) child isn't much, but it adds up especially when My classes cost $174 a semester. And the books...lets not forget the books!

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Can you exspand the info about this program? Which state, what is the name of it? Is this a state program or a federal one, ect?

3. birdie_poo

I am in California. The state has a program called CalVets that offers fee waivers for different Veteran programs. We qualify under Plan B because my husband is disabled.

Each State has it's own program. I know Illinois has a program where the Vet goes to school for free (and that's not witht he GI Bill either).

Now, seperate from the State programs, the GI Bill ALSO has dependant education benefits, but you have to be much higher in the disability percentage.

When I got the fee waiver back, it came fro Health and Human Services, not the VA....and unfortunately, unless you take the time to educate yourself about what your state has to offer, what the GI Bill offers and what the VA offers, no onw else will do it for you...they don't want to give the money away without any effort! And the paperwork...there is LOTS of it! Don't be discouraged, though.

Since I have 3 children, I filled out the majority of all the paperwork, then made copies and filled in their info, so I wasn't filling out 3x the paperwork. I also left a copy of everything so all I have to do in the following years is just fill out the current date and info.

I have copies for the Jr College, the High School, the County and the Governing Board for Financial Aid.

Keep in mind, these waivers may only cover tuition and fees and NOT books. That's where the scholarships come in.

Here is a Federal link, but you will need to check out your state, since each and every one is different.

http://www1.va.gov/opa/is1/index.htm

4. mtn bluet

mtn bluet in Illinois

Find out the exact books needed from the professor or go to the college bookstore.

Then either go to Amazon and put the ISBN number or name in the search box; or look for the book via google. You can find the books for a fraction of the price (at the very most usually 1/3rd to 1/2 off). You will be surprised how quickly the books come in the mail( or UPS or FedEx-however it is sent)!

I would not advise ebay auctions though because either the price keeps going up due to others wanting the book or (I believe) the seller comes in with another user email to jack up the price of the book mere hours before the end of the auction.

5. birdie_poo

I've already been doing that because I go to school, myself. I have the school's book store site where I look up the boks for the class, their price and then compare to what Amazon has. For my history class this semester I needed 4 books. I didn't get a single one from the bookstore, but from amazon and one was $2.

FOr the German class, it will be tight, because both my son and daughter will be taking that so they can share the text but should each have their own workbook.

For Spanish, my daughter and I can share and I can get it used off amazon for much, much less...half the price of a used book from the book store.

6. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Well-Known Member

If you the vet are rated at perminent and total your spouce can attend school under chapter 35 full time she will draw around 800. a month I am not sure on the dollar amount aS SHE GETS THE CHECK.....Also some state have a programs to offset the cost of school.....My Wife got her 4 year degree that way well if she passes math that is....