Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all.
I have questions about homesteading in yavapai county. I have been doing the research and since my husband owns a shop in Deer Valley, but we need to get out of the heat and the city, the only real option is yavapai county ( chino and paulden )

Questions I need answered:

On a 5+ acre parcel, do you need permits to build EVERYTHING that goes on it? Coop? Barn? Fencing? Horse stalls?

What are some things you wish you had known prior to purchasing land in yavapai?

How much freedom do you have to do with the land what you want (outside of the private HOA areas)?

All I have found online are horror stories about the county harassing people and I need to know how bad this is and to what extent.

Thank you so much in advance!

·
Registered
365 Posts
If nobody here answers, you might want to call that counties building inspector or zoning officer. You might not agree with what they tell you, but at least you know what the laws and ordinances are. In some places there is a big difference between what is on the books and what you can get away with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If nobody here answers, you might want to call that counties building inspector or zoning officer. You might not agree with what they tell you, but at least you know what the laws and ordinances are. In some places there is a big difference between what is on the books and what you can get away with.
Thank you! That's my next step. I have sifted through and read the ordinances several times and couldn't find this info.

·
Registered
11,251 Posts
Not city ordnances - they're county building codes.....the county will have the costs for needed permits, also. Be aware, some counties require things done in a certain order IE: septic in and inspected before the house can be built.
Dunno about Yavapai County - I lived in Maricopa and Apache counties for about 30 years. Love the northern half of the state. Lots of Californians moved to Yavapai County with the last migration so land got pretty expensive then. Love Prescott. (pronounced prescut) Lot of history there.
My son and his family, from GA, skied at Snow Bowl over the holidays.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Good morning all.
I have questions about homesteading in yavapai county. I have been doing the research and since my husband owns a shop in Deer Valley, but we need to get out of the heat and the city, the only real option is yavapai county ( chino and paulden )

Questions I need answered:

On a 5+ acre parcel, do you need permits to build EVERYTHING that goes on it? Coop? Barn? Fencing? Horse stalls?

What are some things you wish you had known prior to purchasing land in yavapai?

How much freedom do you have to do with the land what you want (outside of the private HOA areas)?

All I have found online are horror stories about the county harassing people and I need to know how bad this is and to what extent.

Thank you so much in advance!
First visit the county office. Next the State office. Next if you want electric, visit the local electri company office. You have to follow the building rules or face problems. I have build houses 5 different states and they all have different building codes. Follow the codes or you will have problems.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
My first bit of advice-- move to someplace where there's water and you don't need a jack hammer to dig a hole to transplant a tomato seedling :)

2nd: Counties vary widely in their harassment index. I moved from Chicago, where no problem was too large or too small that it couldn't be solved by crossing the inspector's palm with a $20 bill, to WI, where my questions about the fine points of building code were answered with "What do we care? It's your barn."

As others have said, start with the county. Some require fancy blueprints; some just hand drawn diagrams. Some require licensed, bonded .contractors for electrical or plumbing installation etc; some don't.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Assuming you've made sure to not buy any land with too onerous restrictions, hoa's and so on, and legal access by road is verified in the land papers ...

I would call or visit the county building inspector. Tell them you are thinking about buying land in the area, and you have some questions:

1. how do I get an address, and what do you need from me? If raw land with no street name & number yet. everyone wants an address, to do some figuring ...
  2. what do you require to get a building permit? In my case, it was a set of plans (I drew them myself), and an engineered foundation plan w/ stamp (that was $200 from a local engineer), and my estimate of what the entire building effort would cost (I threw out a low number, based on doing it myself). from this, the inspector generated the permit fee. They may or may not care about a septic system or water or temp electric. Ask who inspects for plumbing and electric; in my case, it is the state for both of these, not the county.
  3. what buildings will you need a permit and/or inspection process on, and what codes do we need to follow? he'll tell you the buildings he cares about, and what the model code is for the county. my inspector didn't care what we did "in the dirt", and he only really cared about the foundation. all outbuildings were my business (I called them "ag" outbuildings.

It's also possible that the county has all kinds of website pages with the process and info, and have them direct you to this, if it exists.

Finally, check with each "service provider", such as who provides electric, and determine if you'll get it from them or diy. What are their requirements?

From all of this, you can start to figure out what you'll do, or what you'll pay someone to do for you ...

Then, read all the forums in HT ... seriously!

Hope this helps ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts