Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clearing a patch of ground (20 x 16) for a summer garden. :)

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MomInGa said:
Ok, your one smart cookie. :) Love the little piglet you can barely see. Cute picture.
Oh I see, you like those little munchers :) At 1 week to 3 weeks, they eat about 1 blade of grass per minute :) This was there first venture into grass - taken this afternoon.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
heelpin said:
I love it! If there's nutgrass there they will get it.
Nutgrass??? We got it good :) No way you'll find me out there with a hoe. Our little tiller won't even cut into it. Nature's rototillers are the only way to go :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Tango said:
Oh I see, you like those little munchers :) At 1 week to 3 weeks, they eat about 1 blade of grass per minute :) This was there first venture into grass - taken this afternoon.
Lol, that is TOO precious! Actually cracked up laughing when saw it.
Just adorable :)

·
Premium Member
7,154 Posts
Hi Tango, Are all four of those gilts bred, or do they just have that bellied down look naturaly. It looks like one spotted Poland China, One Herford, and one Hampshire spotted Poland China cross with a dash of York, or Chester White thrown and liberally exposed to potbellys. Is there some razor back in their bloodline. They are very interesting, and healthy looking.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hey.. Tango..... I tried this once.... It was great!!! They had it looking 'plantable' in a couple of months (and they were just 2 babies) BUT... BEWARE of the following:

The book I read, said (and they were RIGHT) you need to leave 'em for two years in order to really get the grass and weeds finished for good. My fencing was inadequate, so had to get rid of mine, but may try again some day! Where they were is completely grown back in just a few months. However, not a 'strong'!

Good luck.... they sure are cutie pies!! (I'm so inspired to run to Tractor Supply and get hog panels!! LOL!!! I really NEED a BIG garden in a few years!! ;) )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts