Yard to cups conversion

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Earthbound, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Earthbound

Earthbound Well-Known Member

Crazy question, BUT.....I was given a call last evening by the areas most known organic nursery who have decided to close their doors. We have had an excellent relationship for years and she called to offer to put us on her mailing list of 3500 customers as a source for organic heritage starts. We have been growing off our property for years and always averaged around 800 tomato starts a year, we do have the set up to grow way more, but never really got into it. well with this offer of a customer base and her backing us, we have decided to bump up the tomato's to around 3000 this year and then do some things like kale and such. We grow for our farm as well.
    Question...I have just ordered cases of 31/4 inch square pots and in the past we have made all our own soil, I will plan to do that for next year but with this coming out of left field, we do not have enough soil made to compensate the growth. So I will be bringing in soil from a very reputable source and buying by the yard. I need to figure out my cost so i can charge accordingly. Anybody know approx. how many cups in a yard?? Or any other small measure per yard. My math skills are terrible (DH does the books..lol!)
    Thanks in advance!!
    corry

2. Steve L.

Steve L. Well-Known Member

3. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

3.25" cubed is 34.33 cu inches per little pot (if they are a cube). A yard is 36" cubed which gives 46,656 cubic inches. Therefore there would be 1359 little pots worth of soil in a yard of soil (provided there was no wastage or shrinkage). Since you will likely get soil with vermiculite, peralite, etc in it there will be some compression. and there will likely be some wastage. I'll factor in 5% or so for that. So... I'd get 2.5 or 3.0 yards of soil for 3000 plants (again, povided that the cube is 3.25" inches in all three dimensions.

R

4. Earthbound

Earthbound Well-Known Member

OMG, thank you both sooo much! I had no idea there were even online conversion charts, learn something new each day.
    WindowOrMirror, thanks for the breakdown, I really admire people with the ability to figure as such!
    corry

5. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

Oh, CUBIC yards! I didn't know what "yards to cups" meant at first.

Reminds me of something that happened about a year ago, when I wrote an article on astronomy for Countryside. I used the word "gals" referring to acceleration. (In physics, a "gal", short for "Galilei unit", is one metre per second, squared.) The magazine erroneously thought that "gals" was short for gallons, and printed it as "gallons". I had so send in a correction for the next issue.